Finally got me a bike...Rolling Rock

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading and studying the forum here for the last couple months. I finally picked up a bike. It's my first cruiser and also my first CL buy. It's a Schwinn Rolling Rock and was listed for $50. Bike isn't mint by any means, but is in good shape. The worst part is that the tank had a nice dent in the left half. Since this bike is going to get used, I wasn't too concerned about the tank. However, tonight I managed to push out the dent and get the tank half looking pretty good. Most of the chrome on the bike has a light dusting of surface rust, but a little steel wool is doing a great job of cleaning it up to look almost like new.

Now, I'd love to have some info on this bike. I'm not at all concerned about value, but would simply like to know some facts. I've read that the Rolling Rock bikes were limited to a production run of 500, they were produced in 1990, also read 1997(which one or neither?), were available for sale on Rolling Rock's website, were given away in drawings at bars/liquor stores. I've also seen versions with springer forks. Can anyone help me? I would really just like to be able to answer questions with some knowledge. Thanks in advance.

ryevdztc.jpg

Here's the somewhat straightened tank. It looks much better than it was and the tank can now be snugged up tight. With the dent it rattled around loose.
ykkqbmw4.jpg

Here's a shot of the handlebars with one half cleaned up using steel wool.
jw0j2w2w.jpg

nice buy at $50 :D tank doesnt lookthat bad either after the det got popped, most of them have dents from the forks/racks smacking them anyway.

klunker said:
looking good man! since it's a beer bike, you should get one of those Paul "Flatbed" racks for the front of it. they're super cool and the dimensions are so, that they will hold exactly one case of beer. http://www.paulcomp.com/basketmenu.html

That is a cool rack. I may have to do something like that. 8)

Rat Rod said:
Looks like it may be a 1997 model considering the date code stamped on the headbadge.

I figured that was some sort of serial number, but didn't have a clue how to decipher it.

blacksheep said:
Rat Rod said:
Looks like it may be a 1997 model considering the date code stamped on the headbadge.

I figured that was some sort of serial number, but didn't have a clue how to decipher it.

The 2437 # on the badge means it was slapped together on the 243rd day of 1997, not all years badges are stamped though

its funny, i had never seen one before today, and on CL today theres one. good condition......$150.
i offered $100 but havent heard back yet.

its a panther right?

blink said:
its funny, i had never seen one before today, and on CL today theres one. good condition......$150.
i offered $100 but havent heard back yet.

its a panther right?

im pretty sure theyre were manufactured and intended to be panthers but i think "rolling rock" bought some of the production and transformed them into publicity bikes. (kind of like the fat tire / new belgium bikes) anyone know where these were available from new ??

That's a good buy. Those can get kinda high on ebay.
Yeah, they must not have made many, as they seem to go for a couple hunnerd on ebay. I wouldn't chop it up or anything, and I'd save any original parts I replaced. But enjoy! :D ~Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Yeah, they must not have made many, as they seem to go for a couple hunnerd on ebay. I wouldn't chop it up or anything, and I'd save any original parts I replaced. But enjoy! :D ~Adam

I plan on leaving this one as is and just cruising it, aside from possibly adding lights and a front rack. I'll save the tinkering for my "Bare Bones" and other bikes I may end up with.

Back