fender light removal..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to get a light off of an old front fender, one of the screws came out but the other will not. ive doused it twice with penetrant, ive boogered up the slotted screw trying to get it out, and im afraid if i drill it out i might booger up the threads on the light houseing, any ideas? its a really cool bullet lookin light and i must have it!!!! i also learned about how the switch works when i took it apart, when the switch is in the "on" position it puts a peice of metal that is in contact with the negative end of the battery in contact with the housing of the light itself which completes the circuit by grounding to the bike - i think i said that right.
thanx, fast eddie outty

can you post a pic?

you may have to drill it out..... then tap and die it? :?

Here in canada we invented the Robertson screw!! :mrgreen:
250px-Robertson_screw.jpg

FW

yeah id try cutting a new slot(make it cross the old one.like an x)if that doesnt work drill out the screw(just enought to get it out)and then cut some new threads(the hole will be alittle bigger but better than nothing....)the third option is to take you cut off wheel and just shave the head of the screw off and then drill and tap it out afterwards....option #1 normally works the best though

A nice heatgun is a wonderful tool, and you can get one cheap and never regret your purchase, cause it's what you need, heat.Also, do you have pics of your skate quiver? I've seen you on NCSDA, and am curious.

Get a pair of Vise Grips and scrunch down on the head of the screw, then give it an extra tweak and close em, turn.

The Dremel is a great idea. If cutting a slot doesn't work and drilling out the screw is the only option, use the Dremel to drill a pilot hole in the screw. I've found drilling a precise hole is easier with the Dremel than with a regular hand held power drill. Use a nail set or small center punch to get a good starting center mark on the screw to be drilled. In placing the center mark, be careful not to use excessive force with the hammer that can distort the light housing. Put a Dremel bit smaller than the screw diameter in the Dremel. Use light pressure and drill straight with the center of the screw. You basically grind a hole through the screw due to the rpm's of the Dremel. Sometimes with the pilot hole through the screw, it is enough to cause the screw to become unstuck. The pilot hole will make it easier to follow up with a slightly larger bit in the Dremel or power hand drill to remove the rest of the screw. Take your time and don't over use the force!!! Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back