FAUX Patina/weathered paint job

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully nothing too redundant here. I know there is a gallery of rusty/patina bikes. Well, I looked through it and it is almost entirely AUTHENTIC rust and patinas which are beautiful, but it strikes me that there is some incredible artistry and trickery going on here with faux-tinas and weathered paint jobs. I find this sort of artistry fascinating so lets see it all in one place! Maybe we'll learn a trick or two about techniques too! :idea: What d' you think about that?
Later,

Here is one of mine that was falsely patina-ed. It started as a re-spray and I scraped it down to just one coat over what was original (To save time and lots of oven cleaner. Then I soaked the entire frame and fork in Easy Off oven cleaner and let it sit for 30 minutes. It bubbled up some of the paint but not all of it so I took a copper wool scrub pad and gently worked a few areas by hand and used a wire brush for some of the tight areas.

As far as the wheels go I painted them red them misted flat black over them to get the desired shade and look.

Started with this

Test spot to see how much to remove, it had more than one re-spray over the years, it was originally red, then a coat of grey primer, then a burgundy red, then white, then blue.

getting it down to the grey

Oven cleaner knocks it down quick

Cleared everything

Good close-up of the patina

Nothing but rust on my Elgin!

2013-09-26111307_zpsf6906fcc.jpg

Just a couple of coats of linseed oil to preserve the patina.

Man that blue one made me do a double take! This is a REAL patina Schwinn tandem I had last year of the same color and I think you nailed the look.
PB290143.jpg

PB290152.jpg

Back