Electrical Question: How can I power a 6v lamp?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but the gen hub would only put out .4 amp thats prob down a steep hill in high gear. not enough for the high wattage lamp. E x I = Power in watts Power/E = I so 2.4w / 6v = .4 amp. If you want an old school looking lamp find an emergency lamp bulb that has a removable bulb convert to led you wont be able to tell its a led or just use a 6v lower wattage bulb thatas a direct plug in.

dscf2813l.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-10-01

dscf2818q.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-10-04

XC204 said:
Sorry but the gen hub would only put out .4 amp thats prob down a steep hill in high gear. not enough for the high wattage lamp. E x I = Power in watts Power/E = I so 2.4w / 6v = .4 amp. If you want an old school looking lamp find an emergency lamp bulb that has a removable bulb convert to led you wont be able to tell its a led or just use a 6v lower wattage bulb thatas a direct plug in.

dscf2813l.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-10-01

dscf2818q.jpg

By xc204 at 2011-10-04

Very good option you're showing there. If I had a much new lamp, I'd probably retro-fit it like you, but since mine is about 70 years old, I want to keep it intact. I guess I want my cake and to be able to eat it too :wink:

If I can't light the lamp, I'll just leave it as is and it will be a lamp just for decoration purposes.

I'm off to get some F cell batteries and see what happens. (Basically, I'm just going to get a not too expensive 6v standard HD battery and if it works to light the lamp, I'll crack it open, take out the F cells inside and configure them in a way that I can hide them somewhere on my bike... BTW It's a 1952 Monark 24" :wink: ).

Well, that ought to work off of a 6V battery pretty well then...which can't be said a 35W automotive bulb. I think to really light that bulb off of battery for any length of time, you'll need a bigger battery.

.05A - I'll assume thats .5 amps. I think that means my light's just going to be for show. Got a 6v Battery right now and it's not doing a thing to the lamp...wonder if I can get my $7 back :mrgreen:

expjawa said:
Well, that ought to work off of a 6V battery pretty well then...which can't be said a 35W automotive bulb. I think to really light that bulb off of battery for any length of time, you'll need a bigger battery.

Yup, I think we're at the end of this thread. The 6v battery is not doing anything and I think the only other option is a real 6v lead acid battery. A 6v lead acid battery is just too big for me to attempt or want to integrate onto the bike.

The light will still look cool once it's on the bike. Since I got the bike a few months ago and I need to strip a bunch of layers of rattle can off of it besides needing a bunch of other work, I'll probably build it for this years RRBO!

Oh well, thanks everybody who tried to help me out!! :D :D :D :D :D

Back