Dumpster Victims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local charity that rebuilt bikes for needy kids recently lost their use of a building for free. Forced to close, they had to liquidate 2000+ bikes, many of which were sold at a sale last Saturday.

I did what I could, didn't really even know the group existed until a month or so ago. They had adult and kids bikes, sold refurbished-dontated adult bikes for money and gave away and sold kids bikes, scooters, trikes, etc.

I bought about 10 or so, offered to take as many as they would let me take - offered to hold bikes in my back yard to keep them out of a dumpster, but behold....come Saturday morning, the sale started and the first roll-off box was placed out front.

I picked up a few in addition to the 10 or so I had scrounged around and purchased earlier in the week. Bikes lined up in rows upon rows, boxes and boxes of parts. It was overwhelming. A buddy of mine got a 3 speed kickback NOS Stingray 20" wheel for $5. I got an AS Tandem (Schwinn Tandem, late 40's I think), most of it there for nearly nothing.

I've been swamped at work, will post pics...been moving bikes all over to keep my wife from going nuts on me. Busy, busy, but wanted to write it down before I forgot to. I'll try to find a link to a news story, I know the Kansas City Star did one.

So...I went in the morning, saw an empty 20 foot roll off box start to get filled with horizontally stacked bikes, came back at 3:00 to pick up a $40 Diamond Back BMX for another friend, the dumpter was full, a lady was throwing wheels and tires on top out of a shopping cart. The place was still full of more.

I didn't press too hard, apparently there were some conflicts going on over the whole situation. I was trying to figure out how much trouble I would get in if I got caught in the dumpster later. (or how I could pull it home with a Volvo and a chain...)

Ok. Go, you can cry now...

wow...and sad for the charity

if you do get some of the Bendix 2-speed kickback hubs, I love rebuilding and using that[those] hubs...i've donated a couple of bikes that I redid (and offered a tune-up) to a local homeless charity...it's nice knowing someone has a decent bike to get to-and-from on...makes me feel good

Wow, that is sad........

I've got an acre of land here.....so I could easily hold a few bikes here....lol

I'd definately be interested in any clean 20" mag wheels......as well as 20" GT or Haro bmx bicycles :mrgreen:

did you say ''dumpster'''

where?

Just go in there and tell them you are a collect and they will let you take everything cause they dont want to have to pay that dumpster cost!

GO NOW! do it!

Two 20 footers have come and gone (roll off boxes) one final sale this Saturday at 8 am, all that is left I am told are boxes of pedals, kickstands, some tires and 20" BMX and Mountain Bike Shop Bikes. A few stands.

I'm going to go and save what else I can, but they weren't going to let me take anything without buying it. The dumpsters had been paid for already, so it's a done deal. Mostly dept. store kids bikes and some parts that went I think. Still. Lots of Pixes are under dirt now I guess.

Hey new dharma, My buddy just got one of them, Im going 2 try 2 get it for my panther that would be awesome, That rim is awesome, and its near mint.b

skoda said:
Two 20 footers have come and gone (roll off boxes) one final sale this Saturday at 8 am, all that is left I am told are boxes of pedals, kickstands, some tires and 20" BMX and Mountain Bike Shop Bikes. A few stands.

I'm going to go and save what else I can, but they weren't going to let me take anything without buying it. The dumpsters had been paid for already, so it's a done deal. Mostly dept. store kids bikes and some parts that went I think. Still. Lots of Pixes are under dirt now I guess.
Could they possibly be being transported and not thrown away?

my experience, dumpsters go to the dump, it would be cheaper to get box trucks or semi trailers if they transport em, sad :cry:

skoda said:
20" BMX and Mountain Bike Shop Bikes. A few stands.

Hey man, if at all possible, PLEASE look for a Free Agent Flying Fortress 20" You'll know it when you see it....it looks like a WW2 bomber plane...and has 3 piece cranks. I've wanted one for a looong time....

I'd also be interested in 20" GT's as well (I'd LOVE to get a nice clean 20" BMX aluminum frame for racing)........ and a nice set of BMX 3 piece newschool cranks.

How cheap are these BMX bikes going to be??? Are we talking $5? $10? $20??

Call my cell if you like while you're there.......so we can chat livetime:

(936) 203-8854 cell

(936) 344-9592 home

THANKS!! Brian

They did not go to the dump. They went about 1/2 a mile the the scrap yard and got crushed. I saved one bike out of there. An old Raleigh sport, English three speed.

Latest posts

Back