TRADITIONAL Doom Slug

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to find some double stick tape.

Get some 3M double back tape. It comes in different thicknesses. Ive used this for headbadges. Those reflectors have some heft to them though, so be sure it is secure.

Love it! It's got a street fighter look! :cool:

I would try flipping the rear bumper upside down with the down low fender and either add a fender brace in line with the guard or move that one up.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of flipping the bumper, I'll try that. I'm going to have to move the fender braces ultimately I think.
Get some 3M double back tape. It comes in different thicknesses. Ive used this for headbadges. Those reflectors have some heft to them though, so be sure it is secure.
Yeah, this bumper is heavy. I'm just going to use tape for mock-up. I'll drill holes for the mounting screws when I find a good location.

The spokes showed up today so I got started building the wheel. I used the Park Tool wheel building video as a guide to lace it up and get the initial tension. It looks pretty good already. Now I have to watch the rest of the video series to learn how to true it. Cool stuff, I’m looking forward to riding this.
IMG_1186.jpeg
IMG_1187.jpeg
IMG_1188.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1187.jpeg
    IMG_1187.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1188.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
The spokes showed up today so I got started building the wheel. I used the Park Tool wheel building video as a guide to lace it up and get the initial tension. It looks pretty good already. Now I have to watch the rest of the video series to learn how to true it. Cool stuff, I’m looking forward to riding this.
View attachment 267133View attachment 267134View attachment 267135
Nice work! really like your truing stand. I learned to lace a wheel a few build off’s back and it was very satisfying to learn. I’ve only successfully trued one of my wheel builds, and I found that can be tough. I chose to lace the wheels and have a LBS true them for me. 💪🏻

Last edited:
So that was my original idea. Kind of a late’50s early’60s style custom. But then I thought the deep fender look might be cool so I sourced a nice set of deep Monarch fenders from a CABEr. I mocked up the rear set way back for that really low look. I may need to get another to make this one wrap all the way around the front of the tire too.
View attachment 264971View attachment 264972
View attachment 264973
Oh yeah, I’m liking this. That was good so now for the front. Another rear Monarch fender for that really low wrap around look.
View attachment 264974View attachment 264975View attachment 264976
I dig it!!
Tres cool 😎

Nice work! really like your trying stand. I learned to lace a wheel a few build off’s back and it was very satisfying to learn. I’ve only successfully trued one of my wheel builds, and I found that can be tough. I chose to lace the wheels and have a LBS true them for me. 💪🏻
Thanks! It’s been a fun process. I built the truing stand a few years ago from old cabinet doors. It works pretty well. I’ve got several wheel sets that I want to build so this is a good opportunity to get into it. I was nervous about ordering spokes but these seem to be the right lengths. Now to figure out truing…

Go light on the spoke wrench. A 1/4 turn to start works after everthing is 'just tight'. The 'tighten across' method will help keep from pulling too much to one side. Think of tightening the nuts when mounting a car wheel.

The spokes on both sides on the opposite side of the rim will balance the one that needs adjusting. A combination of loosen and tighten on the opposite spokes, light as you go.

Go light on the spoke wrench. A 1/4 turn to start works after everthing is 'just tight'. The 'tighten across' method will help keep from pulling too much to one side. Think of tightening the nuts when mounting a car wheel.

The spokes on both sides on the opposite side of the rim will balance the one that needs adjusting. A combination of loosen and tighten on the opposite spokes, light as you go.
That’s good advice, thank you. I’ve got a cheap spoke tension meter. I don’t know how accurate it is but I’m still at 6-12 on most spokes. I’ve got more videos to watch as well.

That wheel is gonna look great!

Love it! It's got a street fighter look! :cool:

I would try flipping the rear bumper upside down with the down low fender and either add a fender brace in line with the guard or move that one up.
If you flip the rear bumper, regardless of placement (high or low), will that have any impact on the front fender bumper.....:39:

I've actually never used I spoke tensioner I have one can never remember where I put it in my ADHD generated mess. I use the pluck method when they all sound the same should be good. Only problem is I'm deaf on one side.

If you flip the rear bumper, regardless of placement (high or low), will that have any impact on the front fender bumper.....:39:
Oh, that was kind of confusing. I tried the bumper on the front since it is also a rear fender but I only have the one bumper. I thought if it looked cool enough maybe I would find another but I think a different kind of fender ornament would be better on the front.
I've actually never used I spoke tensioner I have one can never remember where I put it in my ADHD generated mess. I use the pluck method when they all sound the same should be good. Only problem is I'm deaf on one side.
I'll try that method as well. The tensioner could be useful for getting them to a similar tension. I'll try the pluck method too. I've read about people tapping them with a wrench for the same result.

🤣🤣🤣Thats a great line. I use it on my wife too! ""Honey, I'm sorry I didn't hear you. You know I'm partially deaf in my right ear""
I have been using that line for years! 🤣🤣🤣
I actually am that's why I always make sure shes on the left side

I actually am that's why I always make sure shes on the left side

Not to take over your thread, but you know why men are predominately deaf in their right ear?
Think about it, when you are driving the car, which side is the wife sitting on???;)

Back