Derailleur advice, retrofit old bike to new gear, Test Ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long live a hot torch! Rubber seals are not happy, but you may get it to come off.

Success, freewheel is off, no other broken shop equipment. Had to walk away after that, but were moving forward again.

Was scanning Letitgo app today and picked up a 2010-2011 specialized hardrock sport. Terrible ad, terrible pics, no one had called. Needs tubes, front rim trued, front derailleur adjusted. Pretty nice ride, alum frame, sram s4 derailleur, s7 shifters, Alex rims. $40. The guy just wanted some cash. Put it in the garage loft so I dont get distracted by it.
20170516_165632.jpg

Last edited:
New cables and housings, brakes/ shifters. MX bars and shifters installed, cranks hung on new BB. Even found new straddles cables in a box of parts.

Need to go thru the back rim, has a few nipples I rounded off, and a little hop. This rear rim was bent 25 years ago when i got hit by a car on this bike. Why I stopped riding it. I straightened it up last summer, but have since gotten much better at wheel building. Gonna give it another go.

20170521_162138.jpg

Pedals will be swapped for black or silver VP beartraps, decided to put the suntour XC's on the shelf.

Rear derailleur, spot on, hits every shift no matter where the front derailleur is.

Front derailleur, cant get it perfect. Dragging on low to mid chainring shift.
On the stand, set the limit 1mm from cage to chain on small chainring and large rear gear. This caused crashing into mid chainring.
Then backed the limit all the way off, centered the cage and put some tension in the cable, readjusted to 1mm. And it hits the shifts on the stand.

Need to go for another ride and see if exactly where the rear is when its not hitting upshift on the front derailleur.
I have not tried adding tension at the shifter barrel adjuster, i may be able to get it there.

Spent quite a bit of time on it today, no further testing for now, gonna hang out with the kids. Maybe go for a ride :)

Summary of overhaul - little scope creep once it went on the stand.
New shifters
All cables and housings replaced
Repacked headset
New bottom bracket
New shimano freewheel
Rear wheel repacked, trued, 8 new spoke nipples
Front wheel repacked, trued
MX bars added
Unstuck the seat post thats been locked for 25 years.

Need: new pedals.

Latest posts

Back