Crusty Apollo...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think if I can get my act together enough to produce a bike for this build-off, it'll start here:

apollo02.jpg

if the linky no work, try here:

http://home.comcast.net/~rwurtz/images/ ... ollo02.jpg

ok that's weird... it didn't work till I clicked the direct link... then after that the pic shows up in the post again...

I rescued this, minus wheels, from the junk pile at my LBS last summer. It's currently in the shed, minus wheels again and with no bars either I think.

I was kinda inspired by the Raleigh Grifter pics I surfed to from the Other Bikes forum last week, and I think I can get something interesting looking along the same lines out of this frame. THe big joke, of course, is that the Grifter was kind of like an alt-BMX bike, and the Apollo frame is so flimsy that it'd twist into little steel pretzels on the first jump... Jim Barnard tells a story on the Musclebike Museum site about snapping the frame of an Apollo while doing a wheelie.

Hope I can get this dragged out of the shed and bolted together in time for May...

--rick

White walls are a must on that red X topped off with ape hangers and a nice wide sprung leather saddle :lol:
Don't ya hate when that happens. :mrgreen:

Hey that seat on your Apollo looks alot like the beat one on this Coast-to-Coast Eagle (Barracuda) I've had hanging in my workshop for 2 years. I've never seen that seat on another bike before. Cool. 8)

yeah, i've wondered about this seat since i got the bike... does your seat have a weird texture to it, almost like it's supposed to look like burlap or something?

--rick

I don't know about the texture on the seat, but here is a picture I took years ago of the bike. Seems really flat like it doesn't have any padding. Check out the cool chainring design.

C_to_C_Barracuda-1.jpg

aaagh! it just clicked... you said Barracuda! I was dying to find one of those frames not too long ago... exactly the one you have there with the twin top tube. In my eyes, that twin tube makes it look even better than the Stingray. They made another version that was longer, like a Huffy Rail, but I like yours better. I kinda got myself to stop looking for Barracudas by buying Wal-Mart Stingrays in all 3 colors, and that has satisfied my 20" urges for now, but i'd still love to find one like yours eventually...

yeah, the seat on the Apollo has virtually NO padding, just a piece of textured vinyl over the pan.

And yeah, that's a cool front sprocket. I've seen it before on other Ross-built bikes... as a matter of fact, this is my daughter's Polo Bike: (I hope this doesn't give you red Xs like it did the other day)

pinkpolo01.JPG

poloride02.JPG

The paint on the headbadge is damaged as if a basket rubbed against it, so you can't make out all the letters, but I'm pretty sure it says Starflite or Starflyte or something like that. The sprocket, the chainguard, the reflectors on the forks, the BMA sticker all make me think it was made by Ross, but I have no idea what department store would have sold it under that brand name...

--rick

Cool color on the Polo Bike and sweet matching whiteline tires. My kids are the only ones in the neighborhood with banana seat bikes. Their friends think these bikes ride better and look better.

If you want to trade that seat on the Apollo let me know. I don't have a standard Apollo seat, but I can keep my eyes open for one.

Latest posts

Back