Chopper (from a tandem) update 4/22

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Chopper (from a tandem)

Run steering linkage to the back so the rear seat guy is the driver.

Re: Chopper (from a tandem) update 3/13

Got the running gear in place, and the seat mounted. Cut 2 1/2 inches of each side of the apes.......Just gotta do the front now. PROBLEM: I like the way that fork looks. BUT that's the fork I used to extend the steering tube on SNOT ROCKET. So I'm now going to have to extend that one. Just have to get the pieces to fill the other BB, and a different stem. Then break down and paint..............Most of the parts came from a WestCoastChopper's bike. Paid $59......Kept it a couple of years, thought I would sell it for a gazillion dollars!........Found out I couldn't GIVE it away!..Happy nobody bought it NOW.

Seat post was made from an old pair of handle bars. I wouldn't recommend this for a normal application, might be to much stress. But a banana seat is supported at three points, should work fine.
001-22.jpg

Took a LONG time to set the wheel and chain in place. Theres NO room to move around, everything fits "perfect" now.
002-20.jpg

Was going to make a stretch cruiser.....This will do.
006-6.jpg

005-7.jpg

Looks good! Where's the snow? :lol:

Looks good, don't think I ever saw a 20'' tandem. If you want to change the gearing, or get tired of that front sprocket, they make kool clocks! Mine needs different hands, color and size.

017.jpg

Hey Quanah, that's a cool idea..............for a lot of sprockets, THANKS!

Those apes look HUGE. I like the way this build is going.

I love the bike! Pretty sweet idea for the seat, it looks great. You are doing a great job. I can't wait to start something like this someday...

GTCOMA said:
Great job! those little fat tires fit perfectly
Just hope those "little" fat tires, hold a "big" fat guy. :lol:

Joey's right, that is totally ....... I like it.

Re: Chopper (from a tandem)

KOTA said:
Thanks for the encouragement on quitting smoking, cigs are now over $7.50 a pack in MA...I like smoking, but it is a habit that will now cost over $4000 a year!
As far as the bike, I kinda like the set up the way it is. If I move the seat forward, I won't be able to ride it. Is it joe's Rollfast, don't know. I'll be using just the front sprocket, and doing something like this to the other BB
02.jpg

Tikiharl, as far as making a "burrito" out of it, not this one, not a 20 inch. I wouldn't mind doing a FULL size tandem. :D I plan on making another Burrito soon. ......Thanks for the comments.....I'll keep posting the progress. I FORGOT...I should be getting the tandem chainguard from Joe, at the Monson swap meet.

Kota, I have a tandem chainguard. I can bring it to Monson if joe's doesn't work out for you. Mine Is a three piece, you can adjust the size. Came off a Columbia I think that was crushed at the dump. I'm looking for a chain guard for my "52" columbia 3-speed.

GL

I hear that there's beer involved, leave the razor home, I like my gray hair to cast a shadow!

Chainguard sounds good...........Joe's chainguard is the one that CAME with this frame, I hope it works.

As you can see from the pic above, I like this color.....ALMOST done, a few details left. I need some opinions. I usually don't use chain guards. SO, I'm not sure I like this one or not...........Leave it? Or not. These shots aren't great, it's dark and raining...... I'll post the finished pics in the gallery.

003-9.jpg

002-3.jpg

gives ya alot of room for pin striping. :) with riding position and all, i think you'll very much appreciate that chainguard in the end. that bike looks like its bound to try and chew up a couple /few pairs of jeans. :)

not that i don't like your bar choice, but i would love to see a set of huge moon bars on that build.
( huge set of 32" wide dyno bars -20" front to back)
IMG_4484.jpg

i think it would look longer and sleaker, but to each there own.

love it dude!, the fact it's a 20" tandem makes it that much cooler.

Hey Larry,

Looking good, but I have a question for you. Why did you get rid of the chain tensioner? That thing will really save a lot headache when the chain starts to stretch.

Joe

PS. I say keep the guard, makes for a tidy look!

yeshoney said:
Hey Larry,

Looking good, but I have a question for you. Why did you get rid of the chain tensioner? That thing will really save a lot headache when the chain starts to stretch.

Joe

PS. I say keep the guard, makes for a tidy look!

Joe,that's one of the little details. Not done yet (thought I was).

Icy.......I got these.

005-6.jpg

Just spotted where the tire rubbed on the rear...........It took me 20 minutes to set that back wheel. I don't think you could put a postage stamp between the rear stays and the tire, but it doesn't rub now.

Back