cheaper alternative to a brooks seat??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen some that resemble brooks with nice big springs...like the look but dont want to break the bank...any knockoffs,or similar types that u know of, plz lmk.thx

That's what I was thinking. It is nice to know there are alternatives. I think if you invest in the new brooks you have a better chance of a return on your investment. What i wonder is the ride that much better with a brooks?

I have a couple of the Rideable Replicas from hiwheel and like both of them.

might check with your LBS, I have found a few made in Mexico for around $40-45. The quality was so-so, the leather was very dry, had one break, they replaced it.

I never found a Brooks-like seat for a price cheap enough to justify not spending the extra for a Brooks, so when I really wanted one I started bidding on eBay till I got one shipped for under $45. I know plenty have gotten better deals, but that was the best I could do, and I had to bid and lose a lot of auctions. Have seen some pop up on Craigslist (not local, about 1 1/2 hours away) for around $50, but I'm not close enough to act fast.

chagovatoloco said:
That's what I was thinking. It is nice to know there are alternatives. I think if you invest in the new brooks you have a better chance of a return on your investment. What i wonder is the ride that much better with a brooks?

don't know personally, never had the priveledge, but everyone I have ever talked or typed to swears by them. I do have a buddy in Austin that is a 75% bike comuter and he states he would never own any other seat. Just my .02

Idk just a piece of leather and spring...to me it wouldn't be comfy, but I've never tried them.
Thx for the other suggestions

I am a confessed Brooks addict. Comfort for me is tops and I can barely ride a padded seat anymore. Patience is the key into making them comfortable- your hind end will break in just like the saddle does.

Here is my list.
New Brooks
B17Imprerial- Road bike
Champion Flyer- Xtracycle B17 with springs like B67
B17- Mountain Bike
B67- on wife's bike

Old Brooks
Professional on Scott Cruiser
B72- on Chunky Monkey
Also have a Wrights that is on my mountain bike.

wimpy said:
Buddy's of mine cruise around on Lepper seats. Very comfy,they tell me. Don't know if they're available in the U.S.?
Might be worth checking out.

Looked at these and I dig em!

I just got my Brooks B135 and mounted it and w/o even breaking it in, I can tell the difference. I have been looking at the Gyes, and have been looking for review. The wife wants one, but not sure if I can justify another Brooks, but I want something that is comprable.

Just based on looks, here's a cheaper clone....

50-8274-BLK-ANGLE.jpg

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Pr ... 1___400195

Check online for sales. Some website (I can't remember which ATM) just had a sale on Brooks saddles, they were selling some models for under $90.

I've never seen used ones locally for decent prices. If I had the choice between $75 for a used one, and $85-$95 for a brand new one on sale, I wouldn't go for the used one.

I've never seen any in depth reviews of the persons saddles. I heard lots of mixed things about them, but nobody was very descriptive about them either way - heck I think I've only seen one or two photos of them that weren't from the company itself.

I got lucky enough to see one on craigslist for $50 right when it was posted...The B17, no springs,I put it on my MTB...
Very comfy from the get go.....

I bought an old Brooks B68 on ebay for $22.00 just because it matched the patina of my Spaceliner. Even as old and tired as it is, it still rides good.
Kenny
img_2321.jpg

Back