Chain Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if garage door chain fits single speed bikes. A thrift store had a long length of KMC chain from a door opener. It is 1/2" and seems to 1/8", the thing I would question is the roller diameter. Not. sure on that one. I bought it and will only be out $5 if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
If it is 410 sized (1/2" pitch, 1/8" wide inside) chain that was used on the garage door, it should fit MOST single speeds, except not those that might have been set up with 3/32" width chain, or some heavy duty bikes that might be using wider chain, or older bikes with skip tooth sprockets, or, ......? If it's 410 sized, it will also fit a lot of 2 speeds and 3 speeds and probably many, many more modern bikes with internal geared hubs and more ratios.

410 is definitely used on SOME garage door openers, but probably not all of them.

I'd be walking into the store with the sprocket off one of my Sturmey Archer or Bendix hubs, in my pocket, and maybe a sprocket from a derailleur stack as well, for reference, find out just what the stuff was:
1689876729661.png

Could also use a measuring tool:
1689877412404.png

Down here in Texas, we like chains…..and saws.
Texans like chains and saws…..chains …saws……anyone? oh never mind.

Show us a pic of this wad of chain. So I can say that I saw it. Saw it. Saw… never mind. Must be past my bedtime

Down here in Texas, we like chains…..and saws.
Texans like chains and saws…..chains …saws……anyone? oh never mind.

Show us a pic of this wad of chain. So I can say that I saw it. Saw it. Saw… never mind. Must be past my bedtime
I'll get the picture soon. It came from a thrift store in Orange near Beaumont.

Huh, they sell it by the foot too. That's interesting. This site has a little info
https://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=1120
Now I am wondering about garage door opener sprockets too
I did a few searches after I bought and not all openers are 1/2 x 1/8, just some of them.

My brother was a garage door repair person for decades. It never crossed my mind to check. I wish this came up before he switched careers

Here are some pictures of the chain
This is the 20' against an average cruiser chain.
20230727_083925.jpg

I tried storing it around a well worn rear cog
20230727_095906.jpg

Ended up storing it on a chain wheel
20230727_160909.jpg

Latest posts

Back