"Caveat Emptor" Baby...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is a pic from an Ebay auction billed as a "professional restoration"

$T2eC16J,!)QE9s3HEEZrBRkR,UFvyw~~60_57.JPG

This is what is left after I removed the aftermarket, generic, incorrect, or otherwise inappropriate parts. Actually the rack struts are home-fabbed, the headset is not correct, and I haven't decided about the truss rods yet... :eek: If this is the work of a professional, I am glad to be an amateur. :) ...FWIW, I was not fooled in any way - I correctly recognized every shortcoming before bidding... "Caveat Emptor"

Nice find!!
Ya gonna rat it or restore it? :D

We'll.... he does " something " professionally ...... just not this apparently :wink:

"An amateur does it until he gets it right. A professional does in until he can't get it wrong." I'd hesitate to call that job either, but I'm sure the Firestone will get TLC from here on out. 8) Gary

Ya gotta love a looptail no matter who "GEE GAWS" it up. Very kool bike.Is it a Colson? Those tanks almost look Westfield. Looking forward to seeing how & which direction your build goes...Good Luck,have fun & keep us posted...Pappy 8)

It's scary to buy a bicycle off of ebay. There are so many Frankenstein'd bicycles out there that you really have to be on top of what you want to purchase as far as its originality or age period.

Glad this is working out for you. That has to be one of the coolest head badges I have seen. looks like your making good progress with it. Congrats.

Pappy said:
Ya gotta love a looptail no matter who "GEE GAWS" it up. Very kool bike.Is it a Colson? Those tanks almost look Westfield. Looking forward to seeing how & which direction your build goes...Good Luck,have fun & keep us posted...Pappy 8)

Yes it is a Colson. Not sure yet what i am going to do. Since there is no original paint to respect, the sky is the limit!

carrotsnax said:
It's scary to buy a bicycle off of ebay. There are so many Frankenstein'd bicycles out there that you really have to be on top of what you want to purchase as far as its originality or age period....

Yes you absolutely need to know what you are looking at. It seems daunting at first, but if you are persistent and study the details of what you see, in a couple years you will have a firm foundation. :)

Back