Brakes on a 50s' JC Higgins with 24 x 3 tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BenG said:
Hi again,
Can anyone tell me what brakes can I fit on and old JC Higgins frame that will be equipped with 24 x 3 (ie fat/balloon) tires?

First question- what type of rear wheel are you using -Coaster brake or Freewheel/freehub. A Coaster brake hub obiviously would be easier as that is what the frame probably came with back in the day. Caliper brakes will probably might work on the frame but probably not with the fat tires or to reach the rim. Cantilever/Linear pull Brakes with the tire but not on the frame -no brake bosses. You could make a freehub w/disc brakes work but you would have to do some fabrication.
viewtopic.php?t=1124

I think those may on work on a regular cruiser frame(26") with 26" wheels. The 24" wheels would be an 1" less in Radius and the pads might not reach. One other thing is to measure the width of that horseshoe adapter.

here is a cool deal that probably would be very hard to find. Moot's Mount
http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/64/47/

Moots24Brake.JPG

yeah, actually... i just came in from the garage, measuring the distance from the center mount bolt hole to the cantilever boss mounting pivot on my mountain bike with cantilever brakes and 26-inch wheels. looks like you're right. this one web site that sells that horseshoe-looking thing says that the distance is adjustable from 108 mm to 117 mm. the distance on my bike is just about 115. so it looks like you can't get that extra inch out of it... dang.

now what the heck is a moot's mount? hmmmm...

--rick

edit: that's COOOOOL! too bad it's probably old-school collectible as well as functional... bet if you find 'em, they go for big $$$. But I'm gonna look anyway... :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back