Big Pink Tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw this on CL the other day and decided to ignore it because I'm in the middle of my schwinn project. Then my wife and I were talking about last summer when I rented a tandem with my son and she said "it'd be nice to have a tandem." (nice to have a wife that is encouraging a new addiction) Anyway, I said I knew of a bike and went and got it before she could say no! In the ad, I thought it was red, but once I got there it was definitely pink. The seller had stripped it and painted it a number of years ago and its been stored inside, so the paint is good, but the handlebars and posts are showing rust.

So far my son and I have decided to paint it blue (we're colts fans). I may look to add other colts decals or elements to it.

The seller thought it was a 60's Columbia. I haven't pulled a serial number off it yet to see if that's the case.

I'm open to thoughts on what to do with it. Some of the pieces may end up on my Schwinn project - we'll see.

IMG_0153.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
That's a good looking bike. I wish my weekend tandem find would have been this one.

I think I lucked out - other than it's stinkin' pink! Otherwise only the rear wheel needs to be retrued, but is rideable.

Yeah that looks like a Columbia. Good score!

mastershake916 said:
mandysbus said:
that actually looks like a schwinnn color,i think its called "flamingo"....phil
Yeah it does actually, also odd that the little plastic thing is still on the rear axle.

I think those are just axle covers so you don't catch your leg on the rear axle (they're on both sides). I think I vaguely remember those from when I was 10 and thinking they were cool then. The pink paint will last longer than those will. :D

mcbike said:
mastershake916 said:
mandysbus said:
that actually looks like a schwinnn color,i think its called "flamingo"....phil
Yeah it does actually, also odd that the little plastic thing is still on the rear axle.

I think those are just axle covers so you don't catch your leg on the rear axle (they're on both sides). I think I vaguely remember those from when I was 10 and thinking they were cool then. The pink paint will last longer than those will. :D
I'm fairly sure that they were intended just for shipping purposed, but I can still see the use.

[/quote]
I'm fairly sure that they were intended just for shipping purposed, but I can still see the use.[/quote]

Well that makes a lot more sense!

Pink is punk! How 'bout some ridding pics :wink: . Sorry Brett I had to...Kelly :lol:

Buck Masterson said:
Be a rebel, leave it pink. Stensil on it "Ladies Man" in white letters. The chicks will dig it, and BEG you for a ride on the back!

Better yet, I could go "Kill Bill" style and call it the "***** Wagon"!

Somehow I don't think the wife, my 11 yo son, or 8 yo daughter would appreciate the cinematic reference.

As for riding pics, we have a few inches of snow on the ground, so it will be a while longer.

Back