Baldwin rail Trail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The Baldwin Rail Trail is a 15 mile trail going east to west from the west side of Jacksonville. Trains haven't run in many years, I remember the old abandoned tracks when I lived in Baldwin in the 70's. It's a nice flat canopied pathway. My brothers and I went for a 20 mile ride Sunday, and the weather was perfect, about 60 and windy.

334uf01.jpg

It starts just west of town and heads westward. We start at the Civil war fort (Camp Milton) and head west and back, making it all in the woods and 20 miles.
The whole thing is about 29 miles. The fort with parking is on Halsema rd, off of 90. Let me know if you're planning a ride, we may be able to join up with you.
Here's some info:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/re ... aldwin.htm

My brother and I went for a ride this morning on the railtrail. It was low 60's and the rain just ended. We saw just a few people this morning. A high dollar roadbike went flying by, so I sped up on my 53 Schwinn and caught him, no kidding. I just put the 3g wheels on which were lighter and along with the 52 sprocket gave a good gear ratio. I had 45psi in my 2.125 typhoon cords. I asked how fast he was going, he said 20! Then I coasted for about a half mile. I had just put the high pressure tires on my brother's JC Higgins and we averaged about 12mph for the 15 miles we went.

97mvt4.jpg

Back