"As Gay as Spring"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So says the 1940 Sears catalog anyway...

twinbarright.jpg

twinbarleft.jpg

LOVE these bikes!

Nice, It has all the sheet metal parts which should make a restoration easy. Or you could just put some fresh rubber on.

Personally I'd clean it, grease it, and ride it till the wheels fall off. Looks good as it is and the patina, to me, gives it character. I would give it an OA or vinegar bath to take the rust off and clear coat to prevent everything from further degrading and prevent future rust. Just my $0.02 It's only original once. :wink:

outskirtscustoms said:
Personally I'd clean it, grease it, and ride it till the wheels fall off. Looks good as it is and the patina, to me, gives it character. I would give it an OA or vinegar bath to take the rust off and clear coat to prevent everything from further degrading and prevent future rust. Just my $0.02 It's only original once. :wink:

I would definitely keep it original and definitely NOT clearcoat it! A good wash and coat of wax will protect it just as well, look natural and not ruin anything.

ohdeebee said:
outskirtscustoms said:

I would definitely keep it original and definitely NOT clearcoat it! A good wash and coat of wax will protect it just as well, look natural and not ruin anything.

Hmm, cool. Why would the clear coat hurt anything? I have cleared a few bikes that were kinda ratty patina.

outskirtscustoms said:
ohdeebee said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Hmm, cool. Why would the clear coat hurt anything? I have cleared a few bikes that were kinda ratty patina.

These bikes were never clear coated so to me, it gives it an artificial shine. Way too glossy. I also don't like to put anything on a bike that won't come off (powder coat, clear coat, etc.)

Back