Any pointers on trueing a rim.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 24" I need to straighten. How is it done?

turn the wheel until you see it go out of true. Then on the side that it leans loosen the two spokes on the same side of the hub only a quarter turn each, then thightin the two spokes on the other side a quarter turn or untill i trues up. Be patient and work slowly till it looks like you are geting somewhere. Hope that works for ya man good luck.

old set of forks in a bench vise (on the bike fliped over will work) two pens, markers ect. make a marks on them to gage said wobble by tape, zip tie ect. on the forks next to where the sides of the rim are. it will make marks on the "out" side of wobble. if you have never trued a rim it might take a min but it's free and you'll only get better at it. let me know if it works out for you.

do it with the tire off so you can use a large flathead driver to tighten them at the top

Thanks I'll try tonight.

when i was learning i always visualized the wheel as two sided. by that meaning which ever way the rim was bent i needed to pull that section the other way. there are a few tricks and keeping tabs on spoke tension is really key although sometimes a wheel is so bent that is not an option. other times a wheel is so bent that no matter how tight you pull it the other way it just wont go and if the spokes are old they will eventually snap. oh yea when you tighten a spoke when you are done back it off just a tick to take the twist out of the spoke. if you watch a spoke when you tighten or even loosen the spoke twists slightly before the nipple really turns. you need to remove that twist otherwise it will throw it off. oh yea one more thing when you are done go around and squeeze the spokes together a bit where they cross to set them then spin the wheel again and check the true. sometimes one will set when doing this and throw it out of true.

Great advice Karfer! Got a wheel I'm gonna true this weekend and your pointers are gonna come in handy! Cman should post your tips in the 'How to' manual! THANKS!
L8 EM

Guys that worked great. Your advise was to the T. Thanks... 8)

Back