Antique radios

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of antique radios here and I dusted one of and fired it up yesterday. It's a tube shortwave reciever and still works.

I was listening to Chinese National Radio last night. I used to listen to Radio Moscow in the 80's at the height of the cold war.

P1012758.jpg

P1012755.jpg

P1012761.jpg

P1012760.jpg

P1012756.jpg

My dad was a ham radio operator starting in the late 50's...and he still is. I can remember lots of radios like that. B&W, Hammerlund, Collins, and the faithful homebuilt Heathkit radios. They make great boat anchors!! :) Gary

Those old tube radios were built like tanks. My 59 Eico HF81 isn't pretty, but the sound is great. I got it for 8 dollars at a thrift store but couldn't hook anything up, nothing in the back was labeled. So, 15 years later, I found the info on the internet and got it going.

2re6u6d.jpg

My Great Uncle worked for United Airlines many a moon ago. I have the original AM Radio and the first intercom they used at the Boise Airport. Its still in good shape, but I haven't plugged it in, the cord looks wore out. You have to remember that United Airlines started in Boise.

Ace, if you were playing a electric bass thru the amp, you needed a pretty good pre-amp to get any volumn. Guitar amps have strong pre-amps built into them compared to audio amps.

You are right Jerry, but my parents thought it was loud enough ! It was just to practice and learn, and it worked.
You can imagine my folks faces when I'd had enough and came home with a Peavey 210 Watt stack and 4 x 12" Celestion speakercabinet :lol:
It was soon time to spread my wings and move out :wink:

Cool old T.V. Does it work? I remember the T.V. repairman coming to my house when I was 4 or 5 with a tool box full of tubes.

ej599 said:
Cool old T.V. Does it work? I remember the T.V. repairman coming to my house when I was 4 or 5 with a tool box full of tubes.
Thanks ej
The TV was my grandparents they used it for over 30 years. can remember watching Price Is Right in the mid 80s on it
I have had it for 15 years have not turned it on in a long time but work last time I used it :wink: :roll:
would be cool to hook up to the VCR have the kids watch I Love Lucy they way it was meant to be
I do have a box of tubes if I need them
radio001.jpg

Thanks Skip

Here is an old Johnson Messenger One CB radio.

johnsonfacejpg.jpg

Been years since it was plugged in but back in the day it transmitted at about 8 watts.

chassisjpg.jpg

It uses crystals and could select up to five channels. One crystal each for transmit and recieve.

I find it interesting when people have interests in similar items and hobbies. Who woulda thought RRB's into old radios? Here's a couple I picked up in the local thrift stores.
RadiosMonark002.jpg
RadiosMonark004.jpg

cashman said:
It uses crystals and could select up to five channels. One crystal each for transmit and recieve.

Crystal controlled...solid as a rock. No drifting with that rig. Crystals were great but they kind of limited you unless you had a whole box of them. I still have all my 40meter crystals from when I had a novice ham license back in the late 60's. Gary

B607 said:
cashman said:

Crystal controlled...solid as a rock. No drifting with that rig. Crystals were great but they kind of limited you unless you had a whole box of them. I still have all my 40meter crystals from when I had a novice ham license back in the late 60's. Gary

Remember filling out all the paperwork to get a CB licence back in the mid '70's. You had to have call letters to legally transmit on CB back then. Most of the crystals for the original 23 CB channels are still available. They also had some secondary weird channels back in the day.

Wildcat said:
Those old tube radios were built like tanks. My 59 Eico HF81 isn't pretty, but the sound is great. I got it for 8 dollars at a thrift store but couldn't hook anything up, nothing in the back was labeled. So, 15 years later, I found the info on the internet and got it going.

2re6u6d.jpg

Out of The Blue.... what a great album.

:) Beautifull old radios! We are going 'digital' over here in England soon, so i think it could be the end of an era for some English collectors :cry:
My fond memory as a kid was when stopping at my aunts house we would tune the old gramaphone into the police channel, my uncle was a motorbike cop, and see if we could hear him! we heard some prettycrazy stuff I can tell you :shock: But the best bit was when we would here him say he was on his way home [his bike was kept in the yard at home] He was a great, great man, and if not for him i would not have the love for motorcycles and bicycles that i have now
JohnNixon2.gif

Back