61 columbia thunderbolt custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realized how completely different a style this bike is from my same-year Columbia Fire Arrow. Wild!

009-1.jpg

015-2.jpg

like the arrow, I did not have a template to restore to, so i went custom... then i found rat rod bikes

a newer pic of the columbia, new neck,hand made bars,and an ooolllddd messinger seat, minus the canvas.
c3fe652f.jpg

you got a cool Thunderbolt there sir...

Here's my '66....I have since replaced the 2 badly rusted original lights with a single NOS Delta Hawk lamp
ColumbiaThunderbolt10.jpg

very nice, i am still looking for just the right light, maybe somthing large and bullet like, vintage motorcyle perhaps

KOTA said:
DISTURBIO GO said:
thats a cool idea with the old graphics....do you just clear coat em, or leave em be?
Not sure which one you're referring to.........I just took a 3M scotch pad and VERY lightly rubbed the tank. Then I sprayed a "few" coats of clear over the graphics I wanted to highlight, let dry. Then I sprayed a heavy coat of gray primer over everything, then a heavy coat of flat black.......wet sanded with 600 grit. On the graphics wet sand til you get what you're looking for, just don't sand through the CLEAR.........Then clear coat the whole thing.
no clear on the flat black machine 8)

Back