61-66 ford truck guy.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. so i got back into bikes through a ford truck seat for schwinn frame trade. i am pretty clueless still in the bike market, but am learning. i have spent way too much time with the 61-66 ford trucks and i think my brain is full. lol.
anyways, here is my 61 "uni". i am thinking about doing my 62 "vette" in wimbledon white and toreador red to match my truck. the frame and forks would be white, with the grips, seat and wheels being as close to a deep burgundy as i can get. if i can find some dark red grips i can get the local upholstery guy to match it for the seat. then i can match the wheels. and some big black wall balloon tires would really get it done. just throwing this out there. any comments or suggestions? you can't hurt my feelings so let 'er rip! thx, chris

HPIM2730.jpg

HPIM2728.jpg

HPIM2731.jpg

HPIM2636.jpg

HPIM2900.jpg

I've always had a soft spot forthe uni-body Ford trucks! Years ago I tried to buy one buy the owner wouldn't sell. So I ended up w/ a nice '69 Ford shortbed.

I like the idea of the matching bike! Can you give it matching patina too?

only thing it being a unibody (which makes it worth alot more) is that it wont hold a lot of weight in it.
but they are so cool.

It'd be kind of a shame to paint over that nice opalescent green! I believe that was originally a Tiger, with the checkerboard decal. I have a '63 Tiger in red. Sweet truck, I'm still amazed at the amounts of 60s trucks still on the road here in NC! -Adam
63tiger001.jpg

thanks for the good words. i have really been debating painting the bike. usually on my old trucks i don't do anything that i can't undo later. painting the bike would be sorta permanent and i do have respect for a decent original paint job. maybe down the road i will find another frame that has already been painted and i won't feel bad about painting it.

Very Nice Truck!!! Love the patina.
I say paint the bike, you can still find those but you can´t find one that matches your truck so... BUILD ON!!! :mrgreen:

Sounds perfect, I just flat out love white bikes for some reason. The simpler the bike the better it will look in my opinion. I would try hunt down the original chainguard style though, I think it would match the fender lines on you truck pretty close !!! Maybe add a small round mirror as well.

Peatbog said:
... Well, it's still cool, but I guess it ain't an original idea. Still gonna do it though.

More than 1 person can have the same original idea. I could of swore I wrote Freebird back in '88

it's just a sunday cruiser and maybe a trip to the hardware store kinda thing.
here is a pic of my ford 8n tractor radiator cap ornament that i modified to fit. i always joke that these old trucks are like tractors with cabs and heaters, so why not put old ford tractor parts on them.

HPIM2548.jpg

got it chromed:

HPIM2610.jpg

And what is sad is I saw a 2002 Dodge Ram truck the other day that had WAY worse rust on it than yours. What do they make these new trucks out of? :roll:

outskirtscustoms said:
And what is sad is I saw a 2002 Dodge Ram truck the other day that had WAY worse rust on it than yours. What do they make these new trucks out of? :roll:

i'd say aluminum foil, but that don't rust either. lol

Back