'60s Sears Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flightliner.png

I found this on craigslist and picked it up. I'm pretty sure it's early '60s, but I don't know much about Sears bicycles. It appears to be 100% original! It's missing a small reflector from the rear rack, and the headlight is there, but it's just kind of sitting in the housing (I'll probably convert it to LED anyway)
Can anybody tell me exactly what year it is? Or where the frame numbers are so I can research it further? I have a few bikes in front of this, so, I haven't really poured over it.

KC so-cal said:
great bike, look on the left rear dropout the number might start out with 502 i think.
Thanks! I'll have to check that out after work. Maybe I can get your opinion on what I should do with it. I'm leaning towards painting it hot rod black and antique white, especially since the chrome is worn off the headlight and it's missing that rear reflector. But, since I know very little about Sears bikes, I don't know if I would be better off trying to restore it.
Just kicking ideas around.

Nice Bike!

There has been a few builds that other people have done
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47617

You can look here too for inspiration
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12311&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=spaceliners

Black and white sounds good, but it's in pretty good shape the way it is
Suppose its about what you in the mood for...
If you want to gut it, maybe buy another one, but frame only (speaking from experience :lol: )
Just my $.02, Good Luck

Thanks for the feedback. Valid points here. I'm hearing more "leave it" type opinions, and since I'm on the fence about it, that's what I'll probably do. I can always paint it later on, but I can't "undo" a paint job over original paint, and this thing is in pretty nice shape. Polish the chrome, get the stickers off, clean up the whitewalls and have some fun riding! Seams like a plan to me. lol
The only thing bugging me is the worn off chrome plating on the headlight. Might have to match the red and paint it.

Nice find, they will not have all the parts but you can look at Sears Parts Direct to check and see, plus you can save the diagram drawing to the left of the list of parts, you use part of the serial number in the model number search.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... ?pop=flush

I have searched my Spaceliner there but they only had a few parts including the rim, the rear wheel, front axle/brg and a part with numbers that i have no idea what the part is.

Most of the time, it can be dated from the catalog #, which is stamped after 'MOD 502', usualli in the 45000-47000 range. That style chainguard was new for 1960, and the JC Higgins name was retired after '63 or so. Later bikes just have a Sears badge. -Adam

Nice find. DON'T RUIN IT by turning into some crappy rod. If you do it'll mean that's ONE LESS in existence. Keep it original and it'll be worth far more in the future. If you want a rat bike find something else and ruin that, these old Spaceliners are getting harder to find these days especially in untouched condition.
Remember: IT'S ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!

This may be a little dated, but I couldn't resist adding my comments once I saw this bike. I received one for Christmas in either 1962 or 1963. If memory serves me correctly, it was 1962 when I was seven. This was one of the best gifts I received as a kid and I used it up until college. I ended up giving it to my uncle for some reason. I noticed that two of the reflectors were missing in the photo. There were the two small reflectors on the back underneath the rear metal seat (bullet shaped) and a round one on the fender. My original seat was a two tone red and white. The front bubble light used two D cell batteries. When I was ten (1965) I received a Mattel V-RROOM motor to put on this bike. I was so cool. then. Before that I used clothes pins and playing cards. When I had a newspaper route I put two rear baskets and one front basket on this bad boy. I rode this thing all the time and everywhere I went for years. I guess that was why I was so skinny. Oh, I had the Sears version. I did see one close to what I had in Greensboro, N.C. at a small store near downtown just last year. It was in mint condition and was the J.C. Higgins version. He wouldn't sell and actually had a plate placed over the lower portion of the kickstand which was then bolted to the floor. It wasn't about to "roll off".

Nice ride dude. It's a '60.I have the same bike,found it on Craigs too...came out out of Milford NH was sitting in a rock garden with no wheels rotting away. This dude rescued it and started the work, I bought it and finished it. Don't let these restorers scare you... mine is all out HOT ROD and the most bad ... bike around, even cooler than my buddy's Boneshaker. I'll post some pics one of these days! :lol:

Redd said:
Nice ride dude. It's a '60.I have the same bike,found it on Craigs too...came out out of Milford NH was sitting in a rock garden with no wheels rotting away. This dude rescued it and started the work, I bought it and finished it. Don't let these restorers scare you... mine is all out HOT ROD and the most bad butt bike around, even cooler than my buddy's Boneshaker. I'll post some pics one of these days! :lol:

Thanks. It was a cool bike. I sold it last summer to a guy that had one when he was a kid.
Then, I replaced it with this roadmaster:
roadmaster4web.jpg

Then, I sold that to the same guy.
Then, I replaced it with this Firestone:
IMG_9341_zpse560e35e.jpg

I plan on keeping this one...for now...

Back