'46 or '47 26" Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a chance to pick a mens 26" Hawthorne Serial is B373766 ..... for $250....

its a complete roller, not much rust if any at all..

i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the Value and Serial number on it ...

if its worth it im going to pick it up and resto it ...

here is an image of the bike

553592_497428790348952_623353939_n.jpg

Frame, crank set, tank and chain guard look great. Hard to be sure about the fenders from the photo. I seriously doubt those "lightweight" wheels came with that bike. Seems a little high imo, mostly for that reason. :|

I bought a bike like this recently at an auction, not as nice, but with tank for a total price of $25. The serial number on mine is C251165 and I am assuming like an earlier responder that it is a late 50's or early 60's bike. Mine is also a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne and has SE inside a circle near the serial number on the dropout, which I assume means it was built by Snyder Engineering. Someone help me................did any bikes built in 46-47 have the serial on the dropout? Be careful!

It's a cantilever frame, Schwinn had the patent for many years, so it can't be a 40's bike. It's a late 50's or early 60's bike.

27zm2wm.jpg

Offer them less and see if they will take it, or else tell them you need better wheels and tires and see if they will accommodate you.

Factor in all the things you may want to do to the bike and what it will cost you in time and money. Do you want a middleweight tired bike or a ballooner?

well i ended up passing on the bike....

i figured in the condition it is in wasnt worth the 250... so im gonna keep looking for that "project" too keep me occupied...

im a "bigger" guy @ around 250lbs, and looking for something i can cruise and look good on.. also that i can use as photo-props for models and shots...

Back