41 Schwinn La Salle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooch,
The stays weren't really too big an issue were they? I was able to get them out for sufficient space without any major hoohah. My problem is a little further forward. I am also wondering if there is a difference in the straightbar (Panther/Hornet) frame and the curved bar DX. If need be, I will switch frames for this project, though that will not make me a happy rider. I have been working on this for about 8 months now off and on, and would like to finish the plan I started with. I have 3 curved bar frames, and the one I am able to ride does look slightly wider in the stays (though I have not measured it.. Duh... Maybe I should!?!?!) :?

I am having a hard time with the crankset.
I can't seem to get the crank sprocket far enough out to clear the side of the tire. I am now looking at using a 3 piece crankset to achieve the chainline. (It has the ability to move the sprocket out using a spacer or two.) I was also not able to get the sprocket on the one piece crank out far enough for clearance of the sidewall, while maintaining enough threading on the crankarm to hold the locknut without thread failure. Using two sprocket spacers, the locknut takes off the last threads on the crankarm when it is tightened even slightly.

What did you do? (I notice the same crank sprocket I am using in the photo you posted)

The look of this is incredible, and I am using an S-2 24" 36 hole rim with a 24X3 tire. Might my tire may be wider? (Felt Thickbrick)

Ideas welcomed...
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

hmm I dont know I used standard replacement 24" wheels which the rim might be a bit narrower than the s2 and i do remember i used one extra washer between the sprocket and bearing to shim it out.... but it all worked and yes its tight between the chain and tire I think they are kenda kraze tires
can you take the rear sprocket off the hub and flip it over? I have seen sometimes people have to do that
ask outsider hes done this mod a bunch of times

Hooch said:
hmm I dont know I used standard replacement 24" wheels which the rim might be a bit narrower than the s2 and i do remember i used one extra washer between the sprocket and bearing to shim it out.... but it all worked and yes its tight between the chain and tire I think they are kenda kraze tires
can you take the rear sprocket off the hub and flip it over? I have seen sometimes people have to do that
ask outsider hes done this mod a bunch of times

Two speed kickbacks are not able to flip the sprocket. That really isn't the issue. It's still up front.
If I added one spacer, it still catches the sidewall, two and there are not sufficient theads to tighten the crank sprocket.

The rear is easy, as I can add a spacer to the left side of the axle and reset the hub to the right to give additional clearance (shifting the rim to the left with spoke adjustment).
The stinky part of this is the 3 piece crank using 9/16 pedals, and I'd have to find some oddballs to fit this. (Period / era correct?)

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Hooch said:
i musta missed the 2 speed part and have you tried flipping the front sprocket around? some are offset to bring them in closer to the frame

I pulled the second frame out today, and it now appears that the frame choice is changed. There is sufficient clearance in the stays for the 24X3 tire/wheel, and all I did was stick the sucker in to do the measurement.

Think about the born on date for this one... 9/11/51...

This frame needed a little work in a couple of places (and still needs some more) in order to get this project moving in the proper direction. My biggest issue with this frame is that it lacks the "built-in" kickstand that the other two have. I will figure a way around that for sure, just haven't given it sufficient thought at this point. One rear droput was bent, and has some"chewed up" area in it.. easy enough, straightened it already, just need to grind the "chewed up" part now. This one is butt ugly right now, but will be getting some cosmetic attention in the not too distant furture. (Oh Mr. Powdercoat Guy, ...here's another one).
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
As a reference, here is a photo of the "before":

i no this is kinda an old post but hugo where did you get those tires?
THANKS!

Back