40s skiptooth Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scored this from the upstairs of a 40 some year old bike shop

i dont know what i want to do with it... maybe find a mens frame

CRW_2256.jpg

Nice score! The bike is a Cleveland Welding produced Western Flyer Super and the features date the bike to 1950-1953. The serial number can pin that down more closely. Getting it with the original headlight is great, that is the hardest part of these bikes to come up with.

do you think that is the original seat? it seams awfully big for a womens saddle

i like the patina of the rust. ive got a jc higgins rat i might just update with parts

I bet it's heavy, mine are. Nice complete bike. I would build it as a ladies. Why do 50s bikes seem to all be blue? :?: Go red!

yeah it weighs a ton.
as cool as it would be to repaint it i love rusty patina, plus im broke
im also getting a schwinn sweatheart skiptooth from a friend so that might go on it

just picked up a 50s mens schwinn frame today with alot of colors so thats where the springer is for sure going.
i also got an elgin balloon tire bike 30s? so i dont know where to start because my roommates are tired of my bikes
untitledshoot-2643.jpg

El Duderino said:
just picked up a 50s mens schwinn frame today with alot of colors so thats where the springer is for sure going.
i also got an elgin balloon tire bike 30s? so i dont know where to start because my roommates are tired of my bikes
untitledshoot-2643.jpg
If you part this bike out. I would be intersested in the truss rods :wink: For the right price :mrgreen:

keeping the elgin as my own.

whats the issue with the fork and the schwinn. is it just because schwinn was weird about sizes? ive also got a jc higgins frame

El Duderino said:
keeping the elgin as my own.

whats the issue with the fork and the schwinn. is it just because schwinn was weird about sizes? ive also got a jc higgins frame

Womens frames have longer steer tubes so it will be too tall for a mens frame. Unless you cut the steer tube down and rethread it, along with the trusses

scored this from the upstairs of a 40 some year old bike shop

i dont know what i want to do with it... maybe find a mens frame

CRW_2256.jpg
Longshot I know but do you happen to still have the headlight off of this one?

Back