30's 'athlete' 24"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i'm going to put this in the 'builds' even if there's a chance it won't get any farther than this :) who knows :?:

the ebay ad (9.99, i was the only bidder.........)

12381083751.jpg

here it is after a bath, with a cheapo cruiser fork installed. btw- head tube too big for even a bmx or schwinn headset: WALD to the rescue. the really cool part is there is a dent in the front of the headtube and since the wald is pretty much held in by the 3 lumps i was able to 'straddle' the dent !

DSC01634.jpg

some cool pinstriping (the other side shows even more classic symptoms of 'bike lock and chain carried around the stem' syndrome).

DSC01635.jpg

at 10.73 pounds just for the frame/fork you'll need to be an athlete to ride it.......

DSC01637.jpg

what did you use to clean it???

blink said:
what did you use to clean it???

just simple green foam and water! i think it was just a really, really, really bad pic on ebay!

btw- i found out the hard way never to use it on an old bike that's been rattle canned......

great looking frame with a killer finish! :D those wald universal american headsets can come in handy! had to use one on my schwinn build. worked so well that i bought out the rest of the sellers stock. :)

are you sure that it is a 24" frame? looks lie a 38 Rollfast, Hawthorne frame, if it is 24", that is a really neat find,not too many 24' around

olschbp said:
are you sure that it is a 24" frame? looks lie a 38 Rollfast, Hawthorne frame, if it is 24", that is a really neat find,not too many 24' around

yeah, it's 24. i was hoping it was 20, wanted to make a kind of 'mini klunker'...... in the old island cycle supply 30's reprint catalog it appears maybe athlete was rollfast's budget line(?).

The green stripes on the black and red look great, I would have never thought of those together. I'm going to have to try that some time.

Back