2009 SE RACING PK RIPPER LOOPTAIL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Will run you a cool $830,...but ah the memories... :D

http://www.sebmx.com/Retro/PK-Ripper-Looptail.aspx

Picture3-1.png

Picture4.png

cman said:
It would look cool in the polished alu.

That's what I am waiting for, with light blue and brown decals.

I would also want a front brake (u-brake posts).

It has the same geometry as the team PK (14.25 cs and 21.25 tt ) which is a bit huge. I like a shorter back end and a little shorter top tube. See, I want it to be rideable @ skatepark, and not just a coffee/beer run bike. An OG PK would be just as "useless" for the opposite reason, too small, and so expensive that I don't know that I would want to abuse it on ramps and concrete.

Haro is doing a double top tube Haro Freestyler retro, and the geometry is more to my liking but again no front brake.

They are cool looking for sure, but unfortunately the quality does not justify the price. I had an '08 Floval Flyer, and I was less than impressed with the parts and workmanship on it. SE is using the "retro" craze to justify inflating the price on what should be a three to four hundred dollar bike at most.
The Haro is neat looking too, but again overpriced and the frame is 90% mild steel...it weighs a ton. Sad to see once iconic brands doing this.

Funny thing is that their target market is the Old School BMX collectors, and they are making the same complaints to the manufacturers, and they aren't listening, mainly because the small production runs they are doing are selling out. The only way to get the quality to come up would be if they didn't sell all of them, which probably won't happen. I don't know what it would take for them to realize that they could sell way more if they would just bring the quality up to at least the level of their other production bikes. If the "P.K.Ripper" had the same level of quality and geometry as the DeVille I would buy one, and ride the crap out of it and probably have to buy another one. Same with the Haro Freestyler, if it was as nice as the Convert or the Forum, I'd have one. As it stands neither interests me. With the PK, it's these non-original "colorways" they are offering. With the Haro, it's because it's mild steel, and because it's not offered as just a frame and fork.

You are 100% absolutely right. When I got my Floval I took it out of the box and was apalled at the quality...I got it with the intention of racing it, but I figured by the time I got done replacing all the crap parts all I would have left from SE would be the frame and the seat. I boxed it back up without ever building it and sold it.
I got it on a sponsorship deal, and when I commented to the person I got it from they said that SE was selling out of them so they weren't too interested in changing things.
I don't understand why Haro isn't basing the retros on their top of the line bikes either...so sad.

Latest posts

Back