THE RICKPAULOS COLLECTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found next to the river. I guess someone hooked it, reeled it in, landed this and left it to dry.
rust.green (3).JPG
rust.green (2).JPG
rust.green (1).JPG

Slap a chain and a front wheel on, and you'll be pedalling around the block in no time!

Nice find Wildcat. That's it exactly. Right down to the odd shifter location. I think the river bike was even the same green. Sears 5 speed with rack and chain guard mounts. Kinda rare bike. Sears sold far more of the 3 speed versions in black. I was looking closer at my photo and the chain did something weird. Rusted completely away except on the sprocket and cogs. Rear spokes all rusted away. The right crank is bent in ward and the fork bent so I suspect the bike was abused before it went for a swim with the fishes. Oh you mobsters. Beat it up then kill it.

I wanted a grappling hook for catching big things like bikes.

But here the water levels are so low. A couple of the locals are considering trying to ride across the river. I see ducks and geese standing in the middle. I spotted a few of the free range rental e-scooters and told a bud about them and he put on his waders and walked out and dragged them back to shore.

Speaking of e-scooters and the river. A couple years ago some dufus handed his "smart" phone to his parents so they could video him tossing the free range rental e-scooters into the river down town. Then he uploaded the vid. Well the cops busted all 3 of them. They found 4 scooters in the same spot in the river but the video only show him tossing in the one so they only got charged for the one.

just in.
Looks to be nearly all oem. Tires flat and rotted from sitting for 30 years. Needs a repack and good cleaning. New blue tires ordered. One could use the seat to hammer in nails.

Schwinn.Predator.FreeFormBG.1986.G0586.6129801 (4).JPG

The 1986 catalog line up.

Predator Free Form EX
Predator Free Form Z
Predator Black Shadow
Predator 1/4 Flash
Predator Streetwise
Predator Qualifier
Predator Free Form BG
Aerostar
Gremlin (16")

Schwinn.Predator.Free.Form.BG.catalog.jpg

just in.
Looks to be nearly all oem. Tires flat and rotted from sitting for 30 years. Needs a repack and good cleaning. New blue tires ordered. One could use the seat to hammer in nails.

View attachment 258123
I zoomed in on it. It looks like it was never wrenched on. Just a scuff or two on the pedals and handlegrips.

Last edited:
new tires arrived. Bike completely dismantled for a thorough cleaning and repack. the rear old tire had exploded during the week. Ooops. found some corn kernels in the bottom bracket shell. Bearings have very little wear on them. Cleaning up pretty nice.
Loose spokes tightened. Had 2 new volunteers help with the work. About 10 person hours in on it so far. About 1 more hour to finish reassembly. A couple of fit issues from the factory. A spacer between the coaster brake arm and the welded on tab. And a poorly fitting chain guard. Still intact which is pretty amazing for 38 year old disposable plastiLoose spokes tightened. Had 2 new volunteers help with the work. About 10 person hours in on it so far. About 1 more hour to finish reassembly. A couple of fit issues from the factory. A spacer between the coaster brake arm and the welded on tab. And a poorly fitting chain guard. Still intact which is pretty amazing for 38 year old disposable plastic. overall the bike looks to be all original. Now with new tires & tubes and grease.

IMG_6718.JPG
IMG_6719.JPG

Pretty common in the middle of the great corn desert. Just add mice. Mice move food when they aren't busy chewing wires.

Complete dissassemlby for cleaning and polishing. Bearings de-crudded and regreased. spokes tightned. new tires & tubes installed. Finished the assembly today and took a test ride and some photos. i was chased by 2 suspicious looking guys and stoped by 2 more who wanted to see the bike. Sent a couple photos to our fb guy to post and he is buying it. Bling!

An American Bald Eagle did a close flyby to see it too.

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

P1030544.JPG

West Point by AMF
full chrome except where a bit pealed off on the down tube.
mostly intact tank. Missing bulbs & lens. Reflector shiny bits fell off. Missing rear rack. Chain broken but included. Tires holding air. Tires replaced at som time. Will be trying out a new chrome cleaner on this bike.
Serial number lookup anyone? Links to adverts? Year?

WestPoint.R149406 (1).JPG

WestPoint.R149406 (11).JPG
WestPoint.R149406 (2).JPG
WestPoint.R149406 (3).JPG
WestPoint.R149406 (4).JPG

I've tried to get a good list for the AMF made bikes. No luck, the info isn't reliable. It looks to be 60's. I'm guessing 1966. It's possible there are a couple of batteries in the tank. Older D cell batteries had a 2 digit date code on them.

No batteries in there. Good they didn't leak out and make a mess.
I found a couple hints for 1967 or 1972. IMO, 1972 is too late. I'm guessing more like 1963. Some www posters think AMF tied the first letter to particular retailer brands, not any year.

Westpoint – this brand was made for True Value Hardware. Some of these were made by Murray or Cotter. Generally low-end bikes, not very collectible due to branding. "

"In 1948, John Cotter founded Cotter & Company, a retailer-owned company that included 25 independently owned and operated stores. With the purchase of Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett in 1963, Cotter not only acquired the company, but also the True Value trademark—a long-standing brand and presence since 1932."

"Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co.
This leading hardware dealership was the descendant of a Chicago store called Tuttle, Hibbard & Co., which took that name in 1855 when William G. Hibbard became a partner. In 1865, Hibbard was joined by Franklin F. Spencer, and the enterprise was renamed Hibbard & Spencer. By 1867, the company's annual sales of hardware had reached $1 million. When longtime company employee A. C. Bartlett became a partner in 1882, the company's name became Hibbard, Spencer & Bartlett & Co. When Spencer died in 1890, the company was already among the leading wholesalers of hardware in the United States. In 1903, the year Hibbard died, the company opened a 10-story warehouse next to State Street Bridge in downtown Chicago. In 1932, the company introduced a new line of hand tools under the brand name “True Value.” By 1948, Hibbard's annual sales reached nearly $30 million. Business slowed and profits were shrunk, however, as new hardware cooperatives began to bypass traditional wholesalers. In 1962, the company's owners, who wanted to move into the real-estate business, sold the hardware operations and the “True Value” brand to John Cotter for $2.5 million."

Last edited:
Up to 1963, a good list is out there. My guess at 1966 is following the succession of letters from 1957, starting with G, They went H, J, K, L, M and N. Since many bike makers skipped I's and O's in the serial number to avoid confusion with 1's and 0's, I skipped O in my guesswork. That would put "R" as 1966.
Here's the list of CWC before and after AMF bought them out. I've been lucky to have had a 46 and a 53 CWC, along with a 60's AMF. I don't remember the serial number.
definite serial chart CWC.jpg

169848_10150107868356737_706863_o.jpg

EQ (1979) Schwinn Heavy Duti.

The Heavy Duti was essentially a Typhoon with Schwinn Twinn (tandem) wheels that had thicker spokes and larger spoke holes to match.

These wheels are alloy. QR front, Shimano coaster rear.
Schwinn mtb front fork.
mtb stem
bmx bars.
It had a bmx off set spider with a smaller ring. I put a Schwinn clover leaf sprocket on to get the chain line straight and to make room to reinstall the chain guard.

From an estate. If I get the original fork, that will go back on with a more oem stem & bars.

53592606519_000b877dd6_b.jpg

Originally red. Now orange with a black snake skin stencil. What is unique is the bulged head tube.
serial is 2 sets of numbers, 5 digit and 6 digit . Not your typical pacific number.
Very little tire clearance with the wrong size wheels.
No canti mounts so disc rear when new.
No levers, no cables. Front disc brake works if you move the lever by hand.

mystery.bike.orange.black.JPG

Found it. Genesis Saracino. bso. 1x8. $228 retail when new, when ever that was. Saracino = a type of cheese.

Also sold as a Genesis Vallaro in baby blue as the girls model.

Last edited:
Back