1972 HONDA TRAIL 70

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I traded off the 75 Honda Z50 I had for this 72 Honda Trail 70. I wanted a bigger bike that my kids could ride with me on.

I've been cleaning this one up and replacing parts here and there that were in bad shape. I want to eventually replace the tires with some new Bridgestone Trailwings because the existing tires are pretty cracked. I installed a new sealed battery today and now my taillight and horn work like they should.

It starts up on the first kick every time and purrs like a kitten.

trail1a.jpg

trail2a.jpg

Jealousy is such a nasty thing so I'll just say "Very Nice"
(I'll find one someday)
Gizmo

Thats sweet :) I used to have a gold trail 70, and my dad had a green one. Nice bikes.

Here's the Z50 that I traded off for the CT70. It was a sweet little bike as well.

z50_1.jpg

This wasn't exactly a straight up trade.

At first I listed the Z50 in the motorcycle section of the CL and said that I wanted to trade it for a clean, good running CT70. I had a couple of people email me wanting to buy it and then a local collector contacted me and said that he had two CT70s he'd trade. He sent me photos and both bikes looked nice, but after talking with him on the phone it was clear that he wasn't going to let go of them afterall. He had 40-50 vintage motorcycles in his collection including lots of Elsanors, Yamahas' etc. He wanted to buy the Z50 from me outright as well and I told him the only way I'd let go of the bike was if there was a clean, good running CT70 sitting in its place. If I had sold it someone and had the cash in hand there was no way I could turn around and spend it on another bike right now. He understood and said he would help me find one so we could work out a deal.

A couple of weeks go by and I see the CT70 I have now pop up on Ebay in southern Oklahoma for a good price. On top of that the seller stated in his auction that he would deliver up to 100 miles. I contacted him and discussed the bike and got him to agree to a cash deal off of Ebay in exchange for him delivering the CT70 to my house which was an additional 60 miles. He agreed and the next morning he delivered the bike.

Two hours after he left to head back, the local collector was at my house to pick up the Z50 and hand me my cash back. Then while he was here he saw the Yamaha Moto Bike I had hanging on the wall and fell in love. He asked me what my number was on it and I gave it to him. He pulled out a wad of bills and paid me for the Yamaha and I helped him load them both up into his truck.

I did the math and after it was all said and done, between what I had into the Z50 and the Yamaha, I ended up getting the CT70 for about $150.

Down here in Texas we call that good old fashioned horse tradin'. ;)

Back