1953 Schwinn Spitfire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shhhh... :shake: I'm not supposed to be buying more bikes.
But 50 bucks for a pretty straight 50's Schwinn skiptooth?
I won't tell if you won't.

1562145-1683751385-742953.jpg

1562145-1683751397-861299.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

The saddle pan is rotten but the frame looks good wheels spin pretty true. It's been repainted by a fellow Rat at some point, not too bad. I flipped her over (Long Tall Sally) and rubbed the repaint with a little acetone and it was a nice blue originally. This one will sit for a while.
Abraço

Judging from the great info on this page:
https://vintageamericanbicycles.com/index.php/schwinn/ I think you may possibly have a 1936. The '53 number would have been a duplicate number they reused in later years. Here's some other good info from that website:
For bikes built before 1952 the serial number is located underneath the crank hanger/bottom bracket.
For bikes built before 1952 you need to narrow it down further by determining if the bike is a prewar (WWII) or a postwar bike? The normal ‘tells’ for a prewar bike are rear facing dropouts and no provision for an integral kickstand mount *. Postwar bikes will have front facing dropouts, an integral kickstand mount, and an electro-forged frame which will have a ‘seam’ on the bottom bracket shell.
A couple of other ways to help identify the year on prewar bikes is pulling the crank to see if it is dated (Fig. 5) or to see if you can date the hub
https://vintageamericanbicycles.com/index.php/hub-dating/
1935-A letter (A-K) followed by four numbers (large, handstamped)
1936-same as 1935 but may have five numbers (K-Z/A)

Lots more info on that website. Have fun!

It's painted like a Columbia but that's a repaint. My Columbia list says 1945 for your J number. You have blackout hubs and cranks which were WW2 time frame. The chain wheel is also Columbia. I think you have a wartime Columbia bike.
Here's a Columbia Superb from 1941:
1688866140133.png

Lucky find, soon that bike will be 100yr old, just great to own it, I have not a single thing that's close to 50yr old let alone 100.
Rebuild and store it for shows
I agree. I picked up a 41 Hawthorne but it turned out to be a 42, when new bikes were limited, so I was happy about it. Just the frame and forks were original. This bike has all the blackout stuff and is nearly complete so I would get it looking original. If the paint could be restored that would be great.
This is supposed to be a 45 Columbia:
1688906771980.png

I have the same bike (even color), ‘41 Westfield. The only difference is mine has the “kidney bean” sprocket. Being that yours has the more traditional Columbia sprocket it may have also been badged that way originally.

Latest posts

Back