1935 Colson Motorbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing this is a 1935 Colson. I bought this one when I got a 1936 Schwinn-Built Fleet (ladies) as sort of an afterthought. I was planning to fix the Fleet up and sell it, and I figured what the hey, get two bikes for one trip, and the price was reasonable. Well, this may be my new favorite bike. It's a tall frame (20") relatively speaking for the period, and it fits just right. I tossed the wheels from the Fleet on (I cleaned them up, still need to rebuild the hubs) and took it for a test ride around the block. Now I know what people mean when they say a bike rides like a Cadillac. I don't think it was originally a 28" either. Though there is quite a bit of clearance in the rear, there is very little in the front. I may need to get a smaller 8 tooth rear sprocket and pull it back in the dropout.

Before: I'm not sure I've ever seen tires that shot before
DSC_1490.jpg

Now:

DSC_1526.jpg

DSC_1529.jpg

DSC_1531.jpg

I'm running to the bike shop now to see if I can get the nuts I need for a nice set of Lobdell Double Drop center rims, and see if I can't get all of these puppies up and running today. :D

I love it! I'm looking for a rider like that now....

Nice bike. I think you just need a couple more chainlinks to move that wheel back.

That's how the chain came though. It needs to be soaked to loosen it up though, some of the links are still unhappy. I'd like to get an 8 tooth rear sprocket instead, which will give more speed, and have the same end result. It has a weird "master" link though. It's got a small screw in it. I don't know if that was later, or if it was original, but I put a screwdriver through my finger trying to get it out.

Back