12" of rain in 6 hours = FLOOD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not sure if your news has covered it or not, but my city was flooded last night. Last year around this same time it was the hurricane, now this. I awoke early this morning (3ish) to hear pounding rain, it worried me and kept me awake. I checked my phone by the bed and the radar showed a huge rainstorm moving slowly over us and a warning of flash floods. When the sun came up nothing was really different from any other heavy rainstorm, until we started seeing friend's photos on Facebook.

Only blocks away houses, a store, apartments, and churches were flooded. A road was completely washed away leaving an 8+ foot deep ravine in the road. The river had reached flood stage for the first time since the 1940s. It was all over town.

My son and I went riding our bikes to check out things. People taking all their furniture out by the curb for city pick up. Squeegies pushing mud and water from homes and the local store, etc...

No injuries or deaths, just a lot of property destroyed.

If you were stuck in traffic on Interstate 95 today, this is why.

Here is a local news video, 18 minutes of the area. It starts in a trailer park, the river you see in the pictures is actually the Chockoyotte Creek, a creek that is barely a source of running water any other day, we drive over it all over town without realizing it's there, until today. The video will show Interstate 95 and it's back up. The middle school that was supposed to start monday, but is now delayed, and Kapstone paper mill which has 4 foot of water inside the plant and employees stranded. If you watch the whole thing you will see the washed out road (big hole) which is just 4 blocks from my house.

http://www.wral.com/news/video/11469020/

I have thanked God for keeping us safe and dry, the cleanup in the rest of the city should be interesting to watch, hopefully I can find a way to help.

Found out this morning that someone who is somehow connected with our church lost everything they own to their house flooding. One of her neighbors went in their house after the flood looking for things to salvage, opened a drawer and it had 6 snakes in it.

No injury or death, just lots of big messes.

Holy smokes! Glad that no one was hurt, but that's a ton of damage to take care of.

NC Baptist men are on the scene going all over town fixing and cleaning. Where's the red cross? Where's the salvation army? Where's FEMA? Where's the governor? They don't seem to care that people have lost everything, houses that were not eligible for flood insurance are destroyed. People who rented are now homeless. The city told people in worst hit area about a year back that they no longer needed flood insurance because the city had fixed drainage issues, and many of those people dropped their flood insurance and are hurting now.

Thank God for the good ole NC Baptist Men.

That Sucks!
I live in Duluth, MN and we had around 9'' of rain in less than 24 hours this past June.
Major flooding, washed out roads, etc... Lots of people lost everything, FEMA showed up and said they had no help for anyone.

Amazing this never made the national news (or I didnt' see it). Hopefully the residents of New Orleans fare as good in their upcoming disaster.

cman said:
Amazing this never made the national news (or I didnt' see it). Hopefully the residents of New Orleans fare as good in their upcoming disaster.

We are still saturated here, so any rain is liable to do it again here, so people are watching that storm.

Re: 12" of rain in 6 hours = FLOOD!

N.O. didn't fare too well, but it didn't flood like last time. Some of the lower parishes did, though... Isaac was a very big, slow (if not strong) storm. I was in the eye of it this afternoon. Very strong winds this morning, did some minor roof damage. Not much rain here, but we were out of power for about eight hours. 75+ mph winds when I got up this morning.

Don't worry, the bikes are safe... :grin:

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Re: 12

FunkyStickman said:
N.O. didn't fare too well, but it didn't flood like last time. Some of the lower parishes did, though... Isaac was a very big, slow (if not strong) storm. I was in the eye of it this afternoon. Very strong winds this morning, did some minor roof damage. Not much rain here, but we were out of power for about eight hours. 75+ mph winds when I got up this morning.

Don't worry, the bikes are safe... :grin:

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Glad the effects were minor and not very lasting.

Back