$1 rummage sale find 80's BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So the GF and I went rummage sailing today.
We pulled up to one and as I walked up the lady said "All bikes are $1"
I saw this BMX and had to grab it.
It's a "Distrubuted by Montgomery Wards" Open Road Z2000 Freestyle.
It was sold by a local bike shop, not a big box store.
I know it's worth more than a $1 and I'm fairly sure it's not worth a ton either as it has fairly simple components.
Any ideas?

IMAG1085.jpg

IMAG1086.jpg

IMAG1088.jpg
IMAG1089.jpg
IMAG1090.jpg

I don't remember that paticular bike/frame, but, it sure reminds me of Concord and Diamond back(?) bmx frames. That rear dropout is a dead give away to who manufactured it.
Definitely a period correct piece.

dang id have bought them all for 1 a piece as well
that frame resembles a Royce union i had awhile back.
same scenario had some decent stuff t lower end components.
the Royce union was a siege and i believe it as early 90's
this bike has a lot of lookalike parts on it which is cool i my opinion .
bars resemble some haro sprocket resembles some gt.
the entire bike has a close resemblance to a gt performer or predator free form, yet has it;s own characteristics just enough to make it different. gotta love competition lol
cool bike and definitely with a lot more then 1 dollar no matter which way you go with it its gonna make you.re money back at least ten times .
Sean.

Great deal. I really like that bikes frame. I'm not BMX knowledgeable but it seems fairly unusual and not so much like everything else out there. Wish there was a 26" wheel version of that frame. Those bars with the twin top tubes seem really different to me as well.

Thanks, I like the looks of it too.
I don't know what I will do with it though, to be honest.
maybe add some of those newer mongoose rebel mags and run a gyro and add some fork stands and rear drop foot stands and make it into a low end freestyler? the other option would be lose the front brake and add a rear caliper brake and number plate add some araya wheels and you got a cheap bmx
just a couple thoughts that would look kinda cool
Sean

I'm guessing it was made by Giant since it's labeled made in Taiwan. They're the main Taiwanese manufacturer I know of and have been around quite a while.

It looks like it saw very little use, no scuffs on the seat or anything. Maybe a cleaning and put it up for sale. Someone who had one in the late 80's might be interested in an original like they had as a kid. Here's the turbo version from the BMX museum page:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/open_road/76216/

Back