YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (Lights started)

Thanks Machine Age Victim.

I tried to takes some photos after dark but none turned out very good.
This one was kinda interesting because of the way the chain showed up.

100_5523_zpsc2baa064.jpg

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (tail light finished)

Let there be light!

Beautiful lines on this one :shock:

Nice flow overall !

I really dig the work on the light :wink: looks like its been there for years 8)

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (Lights started)

The Renaissance Man said:
The light I'm planning on using came with a clear lens so I painted it with Duplicolor anodized red paint. I'm getting in a hurry to finish and making mistakes. :x I should have painted the inside of the lens but didn't think about it until I had already started painting. DOH! :oops:
I'm in the middle of trying to mount an LED light inside. There's not much room for the light, batteries and toggle switch, but I'm determined to make it work. I'll post a pic when I get it all together tomorrow.

Here's the lens...

100_5518_zps6bbb9794.jpg

Poor kitty...

Hit that lens with a blow dryer and it will clear right up. My truck had clear corner lights when I got it and I used the anodized paint to take them back to amber...worked like a charm after some heat!

kingfish254 said:
Let there be light!
...and there was
junknutz1975 said:
Beautiful lines on this one :shock:

Nice flow overall !

I really dig the work on the light :wink: looks like its been there for years 8)

Thank you, I kept wondering what to do for the rear, just happened to see it at the parts store and it worked.

supergoob said:
Hit that lens with a blow dryer and it will clear right up. My truck had clear corner lights when I got it and I used the anodized paint to take them back to amber...worked like a charm after some heat!

I went over it with fine steel wool and gave it another coat. It still looks flat, but the more I look at it, it works with the aged finish of the rest of the bike. With so few days left, I'd be scared to apply heat to that plastic lens!

The front went a lot easier on mounting the weeble light. I was able to just drill out the end and slide it over the original socket and run the wire through the center.

Here's a picture of the mounted LED. I have to stop and get ready to go to a jazz gig, so I'll get a completed picture tomorrow. ( I know... tic toc tic toc)

100_5521_zps78008c0a.jpg

Should finish up this afternoon with everything!

When I test rode the bike, I noticed that it has a bump like the wheel is out of round, but it's not. Is it possible that the tires are not seated correctly and causing it? They look OK. These are the first set of Fat Franks I've used and being such a fat tire, could it be a tube problem or something?

Any suggestions? :?: :idea: :?:

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (Lights finished!)

I'm done with the lights!

I'm not sure what it started life as, the only marking is in the glass that says 'Big Beam'.
In my haste, I forgot to take a before picture of the headlight although the only difference is the paint that it had before I did the brown metal finish.
Someone along the way had drilled an extra hole on the side for a switch, and an electrical cord came out of the center hole at the bottom. I mounted it upside down to position the mounting arm at the top which left the extra hole exposed, so I found a nifty little slotted brass plug that filled the hole perfectly and looks like a fuse cover.

Here's a couple of the headlight mounted...

100_5527_zpsaeb5625f.jpg

100_5530_zpsfbcf7d97.jpg

Should finish up this afternoon with everything!

When I test rode the bike, I noticed that it has a bump like the wheel is out of round, but it's not. Is it possible that the tires are not seated correctly and causing it? They look OK. These are the first set of Fat Franks I've used and being such a fat tire, could it be a tube problem or something?

Any suggestions? :?: :idea: :?:

I had a tube one time that had a big bump in it and had to swap it out. Doubt it's the tire itself. Maybe how the tube is setting under the tire or how the tire is seated on the rim. Hard to say.

I dig the big light, but are you sure it doesn't hide the awesomeness of your fork too much?

kingfish254 said:
I dig the big light, but are you sure it doesn't hide the awesomeness of your fork too much?

I don't think that it covers the fork that much. I'm glad you think it's awesome though! :D

100_5527_zpsaeb5625f.jpg

100_5530_zpsfbcf7d97.jpg

It matches the frame coloration very well too.

Great Job!!! The light, bars and truss are absolutly amazing. I love the stance and how everything flows. Definatly gets one of my votes.

milbums said:
Great Job!!! The light, bars and truss are absolutly amazing. I love the stance and how everything flows. Definatly gets one of my votes.
Wow, thank you, that means a lot. If it gets no other votes, I know that at least one fellow ratrodder likes it!

Here's an actual riding picture...

f59e4ef4-b742-4646-ac56-35a18940af06_zps723c0fc0.jpg

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (Riding pictures)

The bike and the beard are both AWESOME! :mrgreen:

I really like the 'organic' feel of this build, it's gettin' one of my votes for sure!

Cheers to ya buddy,
Dr. T

Great looking bike, with some really nice fab work on that fork!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
The bike and the beard are both AWESOME! :mrgreen:

I really like the 'organic' feel of this build, it's gettin' one of my votes for sure!

Cheers to ya buddy,
Dr. T
Thank you Rob, I really appreciate your support. 8)
Organic is a good way to describe how these past 4 weeks have gone. I really let the pieces and parts guide me through to the end.
It's funny, but I had a whole scheme worked out for that frame with a design, colors and even a name all drawn out on my computer that I didn't use.

socal_jack said:
Great looking bike, with some really nice fab work on that fork!

Thanks! I had a springer that I decided not to use because it needed a lot of work. Then, I probably spent more time fabricating the "ELJER" fork!

With only a few days left to get finished pictures, I went out by my shop at dusk to take a few practice shots. I have some locations scoped out downtown, but just in case something happens and I can't get there before Sunday, I feel better knowing that I have something as a back up.

Here's a sample...

100_5550_zps6588cc64.jpg

100_5545_zps0104993d.jpg

100_5555_zps6a18c54e.jpg

milbums said:
Wow, thank you, that means a lot. If it gets no other votes, I know that at least one fellow ratrodder likes it!

Here's an actual riding picture...

f59e4ef4-b742-4646-ac56-35a18940af06_zps723c0fc0.jpg

Love this photo! You are right about the light. The truss fork is still prominent. Looks like you have about the same riding position as my bike.

Latest posts

Back