YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (fork tubes!)

It's been over a week now with no work getting done to the Yamaha. :( Family comes first and all of my time is being spent on getting the patio and pool put up for our back yard Tiki bar before my daughter's birthday next week. My back has not been very happy about this!
100_5150_zps6d76546c.jpg

However, thanks to Jats, I now have a 24x3 knobby that is exactly what I was looking for to put on the rear! I can't wait to see this thing mounted on the bike! :D

Any suggestions on the rim size? I'm thinking about 2" wide would look right but it's hard to know without seeing it. :?:

100_5212_zpsb7ead601.jpg

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (new tire)

Wicked Tiki Bar you are putting together there!!!!

I think the wider the better on the rim. That tire is going to look great!

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (tank started)

Any progress is still progress, right?
Today I had about 45 min to use so I started the tank. The material is HDU and I had some scrap pieces left over from a carved sign job that were just big enough to cut out the basic starting block. The photo only shows two halves but I added another later so that it's plenty wide enough to cut down to size.
I'm trying to keep a balance between the original motobike and the YZ inspired adaptation. On the YZ, the tank would obviously cover the frame, but I want the original frame to be recognizable when I'm done, so the tank will go between the bars.

Not much to see, but here it is anyway...

100_5214_zps18400fa5.jpg

100_5215_zps6a0e9caa.jpg

Great way to meld the two moto bikes that you are paying homage to!
It's a natural fit!

awesome work dude!! keep it up!!

Troy

Looks great and I like where this build is going but you need to get to building! Less than 8 weeks to go!

Loving every trick your pulling out of the hat RM, can't wait to see this thing rolling :!: party at the tiki bar when you win right ?

Thanks guys for all of the kind words and encouragement. :!:

Outskirts, your right about getting busy, time is my biggest obstacle. :x

CCR, I like your confidence, looks like I can count on at least one vote! Your welcome at the tiki bar anytime. :p

Oh yeah!!!
Nice curves!

nice work man!!

Troy

Nice! you did great shaping that thing!
..what kind of foam did you use so the epoxy won't melt it ?

LukeTheJoker said:
Looks good! I like wide tanks...

Luke.
Luke, based on your builds, I would never have guessed that you would like anything wide. :mrgreen:

OneHorsePower said:
Nice! you did great shaping that thing!
..what kind of foam did you use so the epoxy won't melt it ?

Thanks. The material is high-density urethane (HDU) foam board and is impervious to all chemicals, and to solvent-based adhesives. It comes in a variety of density and thicknesses choices. I use it for carving dimensional signs. You can prime and finish it as is, but it would be susceptible to dents and gouges for this. It's a wonderful material to work with, but can be expensive. I always save back the scraps for things like this when I do a sign job. :wink:

OneHorsePower said:
Thank for the info , got to get my hands on some of this stuff :)
No problem, just google HDU. You will probably have better luck finding a sign supplier to buy from than anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back