YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (Fork Mods)

you'll be welding the stainless to the fork steel?

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (Fork Mods)

724wd said:
you'll be welding the stainless to the fork steel?
After I get the stainless tubes back (Monday), I'll cut one side out and then weld in the new tube keeping the other in place for alignment then repeat the process for the other side. Later on, the brace will get painted due to the weld.

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (1st MOCK-UP!)

Here's the first mock-up! :!:

So far I've only been able to take measurements of the parts and roughly draw them to scale on the computer. This has been very helpful to see how the parts should come together, but seeing it in 3D tonight has really started to nail down some real dimensions to work with.

Luckily I found a much better rear triangle a few days ago at the LBS. The one that I had could've worked but this one is much better quality and has vertical drop outs and also a derailleur hanger that the first one didn't have. I cut the first one apart to keep the BB and brace.

I haven't got the fork tubes back from the machine shop yet so I crudely simulated the fork with duct tape.

The first picture has the obligatory product placement. :)
The others show how I plan to connect the dots. The shock braces will be made of 1/2" tubing and not the flat metal that is taped in place. There will be brackets at the pivot points that I'll make templates for later on.

Oh, and I'm liking the bars better now that I can see them in their place.

100_5122_zps64b73961.jpg

100_5132_zps09a09fd8.jpg

100_5126_zps26c73c10.jpg

100_5127_zpsf9df91aa.jpg

this is getting real interesting keep it up

troy

Love the Guinness!
Nothing like a true mockup to work out the kinks and kick your brain into high gear.

jats said:
this is getting real interesting keep it up

troy
kingfish254 said:
Love the Guinness!
Nothing like a true mockup to work out the kinks and kick your brain into high gear.
Thanks!
Here are the pix again for the top of the page...
100_5122_zps64b73961.jpg

100_5132_zps09a09fd8.jpg

100_5126_zps26c73c10.jpg

100_5127_zpsf9df91aa.jpg

This is an awesome and crazy project, you have my attention. Also, good move on keeping the fork brace. As an owner and rider of one of these when I was a kid, we did break front axles.

Looks great so far. Keep it up and get to building.

xddorox said:
This is an awesome and crazy project, you have my attention. Also, good move on keeping the fork brace. As an owner and rider of one of these when I was a kid, we did break front axles.
outskirtscustoms said:
Looks great so far. Keep it up and get to building.
Thank you guys! You know, I never saw this one coming. I had made my plans for a board track build on a CWC frame and at the last minute switched to this one after a co-worker sold it to me. I'm not really even that interested in bmx bikes at this point in my life, but this idea of making it fit an adult without modifying the frame took over my thinking.
So here I am. :)

Back in the day, I remember a kid down the street had one of these. I was so jealous and wanted one sooo bad! It will be cool to see a grown up version, I will be following this one.

LukeTheJoker said:
Love this build, I think you made the right decision on which bike to enter...

Luke.
milbums said:
Back in the day, I remember a kid down the street had one of these. I was so jealous and wanted one sooo bad! It will be cool to see a grown up version, I will be following this one.

Thanks guys, at least for now I believe that it's the only Motobike out of the 170 bikes entered!

I have really been enjoying the geometry challenge on this one. It has been a balancing act between getting the look that I want and at the same time making it ridable. Having the seat fixed to the top of the frame has made that especially difficult.

OneHorsePower said:
awesome mods , following this :)
Thanks. :)

Can anyone advise me on how this Worksman hub attaches to the fork? I'm sure that I can create something but a picture of the factory mount would be very helpful!I'm assuming that it's just a bolt on the inside of the fork but the slot has me wondering if there is something more.

002.19292618_std.JPG

picture found at custommotoredbicycles.com

The Renaissance Man said:
Can anyone advise me on how this Worksman hub attaches to the fork? I'm sure that I can create something but a picture of the factory mount would be very helpful!I'm assuming that it's just a bolt on the inside of the fork but the slot has me wondering if there is something more.

002.19292618_std.JPG

picture found at custommotoredbicycles.com

I think its made like this:
drumbrakepin_zps0fcecdf8.jpg

i saw this on the rear of a retro frame once and always wonder what it was for , iam pretty confident now that it was made for that :wink:

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (QUESTION?)

Machine Age Victim said:
Looks like a chain hanger, circa 1995 Trek aluminum frames.
oh! good to know :? ...but it could also work for the hub i guess , i dont think it need to be a bolt , more just like a retaining pin

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (QUESTION?)

I found this picture on the 'net:

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back