YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike

The time has finally come to get this project started. :D

Things will be progressing slower than I would like because of the usual life stuff that will always pull me away. (No boring details about that.) My wife is usually quick to remind me that I always under estimate how much time it takes to finish everything that I start and I'm wondering if I'll be able to do this in the allotted time. We will see!

Today I laid out the parts that I will be starting with for a rough look. Both front and rear suspension parts are robbed from a Next mountain bike that I picked up for $20. The pedals are also from the same bike and are subject to change later on. The stem and handlebars are from a kids Schwinn that I had laying around. I Actually like the way the stem looks but I'm still looking for the right bars. The wheels will be re-laced with a SRAM Duel Drive in the rear and a Worksman drum brake hub up front that I got from ind-chuckz back in February.

100_5090_zpsc7ba17ad.jpg

Here's the SRAM components and front drum...

100_5097_zps5dd4c30f.jpg

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike -PARTS PIX ADDED!

Alright !!! The concept pic was cool but seeing the parts laid out is more exciting. Bars don't look bad but I agree something more moto would look better. Can't wait to see how this one comes together 8) Don't take too long !!!

dang! nice parts

Troy

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

I need some RRB expert advice!
The forks are made to use cantilever brakes that I will not be using, so I would like to get rid of the brace. My question is concerning the function of the brace and what to expect if I cut it off. As far as I know, it is there to prevent the forks from spreading from the force of the brakes being applied. Is there another function for it that I'm unaware of?

So, can anyone give me a reason why I should not remove this brace? :?: :?: :?:

100_5095_zps661c2171.jpg

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (PARTS PIX ADDED)

That brace keeps the legs moving up and down together, this keeps undue stress during side load off your front wheel's axle (could end in a bad failure during off-road riding). I would use it to mount something, like a number plate.

Yup, like said above, keeps travel equal on both fork legs.

The Renaissance Man said:
I wondered about that, but then why was this not a problem on the original bike?

post-1103-1255339356_thumb.jpg

The first thing that comes to my head is that the smaller length of the fork legs and wheel diameter matched with a rider ~110lbs at the most wouldn't be as much of an issue. The second is that we've learned a thing or two about strength loads since the 1970's. Just an answer off the top of my head.

Motor cycles have suspension built into both sides. On lower end bike forks, the suspension can be only on one side.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

The Renaissance Man said:
There's got to be something else going on, otherwise there would braces on all motocross bikes which see far more abuse than bicycles. :? :?:

2010%5C10%5C26%5Cbikepics-2087169-full.jpg

They also have a clamp on axle that solidifies the fork ends. You'll now find on some larger suspension bicycle forks and has allowed them to get away from needing this brace too.

I love this exploded view of your parts. You should post it in the Exploded Bikes thread

100_5090_zpsc7ba17ad.jpg

Thanks Kingfish. It's pretty incomplete but I'll do that.

The fork thing got the best of me so I took it apart tonight. Although it does have springs in both sides, it looks too basic for me to trust it without the brace. It is simply bolted together with springs in between and plastic bushings for alignment. Plus I plan to lengthen it which will make it even less stable. I would love to find a higher end fork to use but I'm trying to keep the cost down for now. After all, this whole build is an experimental idea so I don't want to get in too deep. I can always upgrade later if I choose to.

100_5098_zps2c2086e8.jpg

I bet if you bought two they would give you free shipping.

crazy money for a fork. i saw a Toyota 4x4 today for $2350!

Re: bmX-RATED for ADULTS ONLY - YZ-24 MotoBike (Fork Mods)

While studying how to extend the fork (Guinness Extra Stout and a lot of staring), I discovered that it is not only too short but is also bent back slightly. I was trying to keep the modifications hidden inside of the lower tubes in an attempt to keep the chrome unmolested. But after noticing the bent tubes I decided that it would be best to totally replace them.

So, after much searching, I found a local plumbing shop that does contract work for a food processing plant and had some schedule 40 stainless steel tubing which is about twice as thick as the forks. They had plenty of drops to pick from and I got what I needed. The OD is slightly over 1" and the forks are slightly under 1" so tomorrow I'm going to a friend of a friend that's a machinist and have them turned and cut to fit. I will attempt to polish the stainless to a chrome finish when I get them back, then cut out the old and in with the new. In the process I'll be adding 5" to the length.

I took about 5 minutes and polished the end just to see how it'll look...
100_5117_zpsb737525d.jpg

Latest posts

Back