YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (Tire Choice Time)

The Renaissance Man said:
Yesterday, I took some mock up picks outside (between rain showers) with the new fork. The handle bars look goofy, but I cut them down this evening after I started taking things apart again.
I saved this one back and took another one today with some cream Fat Franks mounted-up for a side by side comparison.

This is a tough choice for me. Give me your thoughts on it...

100_5486_zpsa62d0bc0.jpg

100_5492_zpse6aba138.jpg

I definitely prefer the look of the Fat Franks!

+1 on the creme franks!!!
I love this build. Great work buddy!!

Man once again Gone for a few days and BAM :!: :!: :!: :!: shear awesome happens! love the cream tires and the front end!!!!! :D :D

Well, I agree. The Fat Franks get the job! :D
I have to admit, they do look much better. I was really liking the cracked and crusty look on the Carlisles. They gave the bike an old survivor feel, like 'someone had stashed it away in there barn for decades' and finally dusted it off for a ride. I guess it's hard to see that in the pictures. And truthfully, I would be reluctant to ride them very far in the condition that they are in.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input!

Today was dedicated to painting my daughter's bedroom, so there's not much happening with the bike to report. I did however get some sanding done on the bars and truss pieces.

Since there's nothing new to report today, I thought I'd show the rear hub for Southern Flyer.

This a 36 hole Fichtel & Sachs Torpedo Duomatic internal gear hub. It's a two speed kick back. My plan is to leave the years of grease on it as it adds to the tough feel of the bike. I cleaned just enough of the rims to make it look maintained and cared for but not a museum piece. Kind of like going to the drag strip and seeing a car that's not as polished as the rest, but kicking some butt on the track! I really love how these huge spokes give it some serious attitude.

100_5490_zps54cc7a90.jpg

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (chain color?)

thebigorangecat said:
NICKEL FOR SURE - It's a great look and much stronger - I just put one on my bike!

+1

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (chain color?)

Well, I took everyone's advice and bought a nickel chain today. I like the way it looks, it sort of ties in with the silver bits at the front of the bike.

Nothing is tightened properly and there's no grease in the BB, but I couldn't resist taking it up the road after the chain went on. :D
That 2 speed hub is silky smooth and fast in high gear!
I have to say that the board track bars look cool, but I'm not sure how my back will like them for any long rides. :roll:

I also finished up with the gun metal brown on the fork and shining up the truss parts this morning.

Here's today's progress...

100_5508_zps5d40212b.jpg

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (First ride today!)

Today I started work on the tail light. I needed a stand off to mount a light that I bought at an auto parts store, so I also bought a freeze plug and trimmed it to fit the peaked fender.
I wish that I had started this build about a week earlier! :roll:
Here's a picture of the stand off by itself. It will get the gun metal treatment tomorrow.

100_5516_zps4039b64d.jpg

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (Lights started)

The light I'm planning on using came with a clear lens so I painted it with Duplicolor anodized red paint. I'm getting in a hurry to finish and making mistakes. :x I should have painted the inside of the lens but didn't think about it until I had already started painting. DOH! :oops:
I'm in the middle of trying to mount an LED light inside. There's not much room for the light, batteries and toggle switch, but I'm determined to make it work. I'll post a pic when I get it all together tomorrow.

Here's the lens...

100_5518_zps6bbb9794.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
Good idea painting the lens red, don't worry about the mistakes, we are all making them, everyone is feeling the squeeze of the deadline...

Luke.

Yeah, I just hate making dumb mistakes from being in a hurry. :x

The lens paint is not my idea, outskirtscustoms suggested it a couple of weeks ago to rat-a-tac for his build 'NDN'. That's the great thing about his forum, everyone shares their ideas and we all benefit! 8) :D

Man some of this stuff takes too long! I've been fighting this tail light for several hours now, but she's ready for service now!
I found these cool little weebles aluminum led lights at Lowes for cheap (see the blue one in the picture). After some trimming and soldering to a micro switch from Radio Shack, I've got it ready for final assembly.

Not much room to work...

100_5519_zpsbeff31d5.jpg

man your mistakes even look good!!! and you did a late game frame change also!!! very impressive build!!!!! :D

Thank you jats.

Got the tail light put together and mounted. Just a few days ago this thing was hanging on a display rack at the auto parts store. I used a torch to burn away the shiny zinc finish and it left some spots that I thought added to the aging effect. Lastly, the light housing and stand off where treated to the gun metal brown finish.
It was originally sold as an after market under hood light. The store owner said that it had been there for a while unnoticed so he let me have it for $4. I don't think he knew that it was meant to be a bike light! :mrgreen:

100_5522_zpsb893c63c.jpg

Latest posts

Back