You Guys Seen the New Mongoose Grudge 26" BMX Cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across this earlier, there are two models, one has mags. Academy Sports is also carrying one called the Ozone 500 Lift Off 26" BMX cruiser. I would post pics but just got a new Samsung notebook and haven't figured out how to save pics yet.

For $158, it should sell well.
59edf037-3820-47b1-8bb5-e6b86879ee37_1.965a8dbf50c033cba8c07a293beab893.jpeg

The one with mags is $188.
28ebc5d5-be7e-4fbc-934b-162790b469fb_1.4ee659cd537642d9722358b6f675fa14.jpeg

The Ozone is $219.
upload_2019-10-13_17-43-52.jpeg

Thanks for posting the pics. Really surprised and glad to see more mainstream affordable 26" cruisers coming out.

I was thinking of picking up a Grudge and using that as my loaner bike. Saw a video on YouTube where they mention that you definitely need to update the seat and brakes before you ride down anything real steep. You cannot beat the price for a 26" BMX Cruiser.

Top tube, or seat tube? I'm liking the dimensions of the Framed 26er, but I'll admit that I know very little about BMX fitment.
Seat tube.
I'm a kind of lanky 6 feet tall. And according to most charts that slots me for either a large or extra large frame. But I surely don't love the lack of standover on extra large frames in general.

Ideally, with enough seat angle, something around 24-25" or a skosh more effective top tube length and just above 18" seat tube gives me the reach, standover height, leg extension, and abilty to touch tge ground while seated, that I like without a layback seatpost or extreme change in bars.

This kind of geometry has become fairly common in the newer and more expensive mountain bike scene.

And at one time I believe it was often seen in the dedicated 26" BMX cruisers.
The top tube length may still be offered by a few. But more have gone to a more upright seat tube angle which with appropriate leg extension puts me uncomfortably high off the ground for a treacherously high center of gravity!
The bikes are made to be ridden while standing up, yet labeled as a cruiser?
And I like to be able to touch the ground while seated. Not really a problem with a layback seatpost, except they have a tendency to bend.

A super duty layback seatpost really is the best solution though. As it provides both leg extension while seated and being able to touch the ground while seated, along with the ability to stand up and get after it when I want to.

K, I was going to say 20 top would be pretty small! I think my DB is 21.25"
My Spesh MTB is 17 or 18, but that's seat post, and I think that puts it at medium, which is a skooch too small for me. No idea what top tube be. Why can't they all speak the same language?
According to my handy dandy BMX sizing chart, courtesy of Redline Bicycles, in BMX sizing, I should be on size "Pro, Pro XL, or Pro-sized 24" Cruiser". Is that large?
With all the new geometry changes in recent years, buyers have become more informed about the mountain bikes, I think BMX is following, more information about frame sizes is available than ever before.

Last edited:
K, I was going to say 20 top would be pretty small! I think my DB has 21.25"
Yeah, my longest frame is the Fuji foot foward bike at about 25" top tube, but only 16" seat tube.
20190613_182309.jpg

It's quite comfortable for just cruising.
But aggressive off-road riding is against it's nature. So less than ideal for a go anywhere/do anything bike.

The rest of the bikes I've been working on are approaching 23" top tube. Just a little less than what I'd call an ideal fit for me.

Something like the geo of a Surly 1x1 in size large(20" seat tube, and a little over 24" top tube) https://surlybikes.com/bikes/legacy/1x1_2012-2014
with some low bmx bars and a very slight setback seatpost might be close to optimum for me. But very expensive compared to what I am used to paying for a bike.
There's probably an old Huffy out there that would come close to the same specs for a fraction of the cost.

If you want something that stretches out a bmx cruiser to non-bmx proportions...you need to start with a mountain bike. Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a are a good start, Redline Monocogs are great, the GT Peace 9'r is a good platform, Transition Klunker is perfect, and several others (I have a Walgoose 'fitness bike' that fits into this category as well).

This is my Monocog 29'r (think it is a 19" seat tube), I'm 6'2", but I don't go for full leg extension on bmx, mountain bike, or cruisers...
83777_0798f08f98f853bd7eaac3a1157b95cd.jpg

84032_0be3e6df2588e6e347445e4edc3fcf2a.jpg

...a Schwinn HD that I pieced together (18" seat tube), seat is a bit tall for me as this was set up for my 6'5" son-in-law...
84038_2bc0b2d3c486dfb1fd68c55d6f2134.jpg

Jason

Worksman has a 20" frame model, and Schwinn had a 20" king size cantilever bike back in the early 60's, if you can find one. Some older frames were 20" also, like my 42 Hawthorne made by Snyder.
Worksman 2600:
image-10.jpg

Schwinn kingsize:
index.php

Snyder (Rollfast or Hawthorne) tall frame:
DSCI0031.JPG

I believe the Worksman INB has the same overall dimensions as the one above, with the bend in the top tube being the main difference. Some (ME!) would say it's better alooking platform for a MX style cruiser.

img_295858d8a5cbc3_lg.jpg
Slingshot stem, check! Rad bars n pad, check! Straight fork, check! Maybe too much seat, check! Reflectors?! Chainguard?! So close...

If you want something that stretches out a bmx cruiser to non-bmx proportions...you need to start with a mountain bike. Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua'a are a good start, Redline Monocogs are great, the GT Peace 9'r is a good platform, Transition Klunker is perfect, and several others (I have a Walgoose 'fitness bike' that fits into this category as well).

This is my Monocog 29'r (think it is a 19" seat tube), I'm 6'2", but I don't go for full leg extension on bmx, mountain bike, or cruisers...
View attachment 107613
View attachment 107614
...a Schwinn HD that I pieced together (18" seat tube), seat is a bit tall for me as this was set up for my 6'5" son-in-law...
View attachment 107615

Jason
I looked at a bike at the pawn shop yesterday that had those same wheels as on that Monocog. Same high flange hubs and Alexrims. And I think the same stem too. Seems like it was a hundred and twenty bucks. Or that might've been the one they had marked down to $69.
I can't remember what kind of bike it was. But I don't remember it being single speed....or if it was a 29er.
Should probably go back for another look.

Last edited:
I looked at a bike at the pawn shop yesterday that had those same wheels as on that Monocog. Same high flange hubs and Alexrims. And I think the same stem too. Seems like it was a hundred and twenty bucks. Or that might've been the one they had marked down to $69.
I can't remember what kind of bike it was. But I don't remember it being single speed....or if it was a 29er.
Should probably go back for another look.
Stem, bars, seat and tires were all changed out. The rims are stock, though :nod:. I'll find an older 26" Monocog for around $100 occasionally, but the 29ers are holding value pretty good ($250-ish plus). Especially the Flight Monocogs...I've been looking for an affordable one of those for a while.

All the ones I mentioned above are available in various sizes...usually around 15" to 21". All have horizontal dropouts, except the GT Peace 9ers, they have eccentric bottom brackets for single speed chain tensioning :nerd:.

Stem, bars, seat and tires were all changed out. The rims are stock, though :nod:. I'll find an older 26" Monocog for around $100 occasionally, but the 29ers are holding value pretty good ($250-ish plus). Especially the Flight Monocogs...I've been looking for an affordable one of those for a while.

All the ones I mentioned above are available in various sizes...usually around 15" to 21". All have horizontal dropouts, except the GT Peace 9ers, they have eccentric bottom brackets for single speed chain tensioning :nerd:.
Yeah they had three bikes that I just kinda glanced at. The BMX style stem might've been on a different bike than the one with the Alexrims.

Now I feel like I have to go back by there just to see what was what. I think one was 120, one was 69, and the other might've been 180 or 200.
It might've been a 26". And the frame was probably too small.
But definitely I remember those wheels with disc brakes.
Looks like the Flight has WTB rims. So I know it wasn't that one.

Even if it was a small frame and 26" wheels, I wouldn't mind getting the wheels, fork, and brakes for my Kona AA if the price was right. Would have to weld on the brake mount on the rear though.

Latest posts

Back