"You DIRTY RAT"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok well my stupid camera went on the fritz so I had to take a crappy starting picture. But I think I can get most of the before and afters logged here and of course get a good final shot for the Build off entry. In the true spirit of a rat rod I decided to start with just that! A Electra 3spd Rat rod. Pretty nice as new but so generic that it needed some real ratting. And so the journey begins.....
rat.jpg

Ok so let me start off by giving you my vision and what I see... Obviously the bike is a joy cruiser set up for easy riding. But why would any of us here like that? So the clear things that Im gonna start with is... The fenders must go. Look how high the riding position is to. This thing needs to be raked lower in the front to level it. The seat post is terrible. Who wants a foot of seat post showing? So we need a layback post for sure. The bars are cool but we need some flare so we'll work on that. The paint on the frame is ok but the fork and almost everything else needs some flat blacking as I bought this thing used. I think normally I would go for some bigger tires but Im not putting those lousy flame treads on here. I refuse to put cheesey on this bike. If for some crazy miracle I find someone with some 26x3 Kenda Kraze tires it will make my life and this bike. But for now the tires fit the theme. Ok now a obvious other problem. If I lower the front my pedals will drag. Some shorter cranks and some cool old Pedals all custom painted will do the trick. Oh and that sprocket is just ugly. I think a nice cheap DK sprocket will do. (pics to come later on most of this) Oh almost forgot. The seat is kinda wannabe so a new seat is in order. Probably a triple springer. Ok and the last trick I have up my sleeve is going to be a secret for now. It will be unveiled right near the deadline but I assure you it will MAKE the bike! So keep posted on "YOU DIRTY RAT"

Ok got the camera back and now the pictures will begin. I took the springer off last week and painted it and had the bars off and decided to just flip them. They just sat right and I really like the lines they give to the bike. I love this frame and the color so thats going to save me some time painting a frame at least. Oh I wrapped the bars in black cloth tape which gives it a really nice rat look. I lowered the stem as you can see and got in my layback seat post from Ghent Cruisers. To lower and rake the bike I did what we all did as kids on our rat cars to lower them. Just cut the springs! I simply cut the front springer a inch and it lowered it perfectly to give a level look and not effect the ride.
profile.jpg
As you can see the cranks and pedals are terrible. So I got me which may be the only new thing on the bike. A DK sprocket. Got a shorter pair of cranks and refurbished some killer old Victor pedals. I painted the little inserts red which gives it a nice touch!
cranks.jpg
Ill put those on probably Thursday. I get my old school Wright triple spring seat tomorrow and Ill slap that on. Its coming along pretty nicely. I still have my grand finishing touch coming late but believe me its going to set this bike off! Just for kicks I put my little electric scooter up for you to check out. Put my old Electra seat on it some apes and the thing gets more attention than anything Ive ridden. It goes at least 25 mph and has some pull. Fun lil beach rider.
scooter.jpg
Anyways keep posted for the coming details of the bike and let me know what you think so far!

I like that boardtracker look on that frame!

Ok I got the seat in today. It didnt photograph as well as it looks but oh well. I think cause the bike is so incomplete it just looks weird right now. Had to hack up the frame a bit on it to make it fit the layback post but got it to sit right finally. I may eventually get a used brooks that I think will look lower and flow better, but for now this seat is what I want! Crank work on Thursday...stay tuned!
seat.jpg

Ya the seat is formed around the frame. Its just a little different shape than your average Brooks. Thats why I bought it, it had a little more character. And now Im nervous, I hope what I have coming at least makes one person say Wow! Pressure!

Haha...Im going crazy to get this thing done in time so theres a lot of pressure to be released! Ok so today I tackled the cranks......
crankwork.jpg
They came out real nice if you ask me......
crankfin.jpg
but still the bike Im sure to all of you lacks my vision! So tomorrow is the day where I get the bulk of it done and hopefully tie it all together and bring a nice ride to the table. Oh Im doing some seat work to so it will not only look better but ride better. (thus the seatless bike) Should be fun coming down the homestretch and I hope its comes out as good as I see it!

OK! Shes all done! After working all day and night the last 2 days actually. Staining wiring cutting painting putting together SHES ALL DONE!! WOOHOO! Ill post the finsished picture here but look on the finished Bikes to really appreciate "You Dirty Rat" in all her glory! I was going to post some pictures of the parts I made the last 2 days, but to show them laying on the ground just wouldnt do it justice. I wanted the true before and after effect, and for me it did just that! Ive never really done any woodwork at all including staining but I had a blast doing it! Making templates, cutting it, staining it and thank goodness it all came out how I imagined!! The Custom emblem is off of a 1949 Ford Station Wagon and the other emblems off of random old cars I found in the junk yard. That bandanna Ive had for over 20 years and it just looks right all tied up with the wire. The best part of this bike is that its a mix of old and new. There are benefits to having some things new and that benefit is generally in the ride. It rides so so smooth and easy and it sits just right. I took it out today to make sure she was all steady and I loved every second of it! Hope everyone likes it! The other bikes out there are looking really good so good luck to everyone! Dont forget to check this one out in the finished builds!

From this.....
rat.jpg

To this......
dirtyrat.jpg

Looks great! The only thing I would change/add is a custom suicide shifter. Nice work. I have the same bike but since Electra discontinued it I'm afraid to do anything to it!

Latest posts

Back