Year of bicycle.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicycle with a serial # j87967. I was told it was a 1946 B F Goodrich. Does any one know for sure. Thanks for your help.

If it's a Schwinn made bike, and the number is on the left dropout, and you are sure it only has one letter and 5 numbers, that would make it made in May, 1953.

The numbers are on the bottom of the frame.Does that make a difference? Thanks.

I just noticed it's your first post. Welcome to the site!

Yes, the numbers on the bottom, (bottom bracket) are earlier if it's a Schwinn made bike. Goodyear was a badged Schwinn but I'm not sure if they all were. A pic would solve that problem of ID.

J87967, if it's a Schwinn bike, would place it earlier than 1948, but there are no serial number records before then due to a fire. Characteristics of the bike may ID the year though. The cranks may have a 2 digit year forged in them, in the middle. You'll have to take it off to see. Some info on the serial number page mentions the use of "J" in 1946.

Last edited:
Tire companies had bikes made for them by various bike manufacturors, pictures of bottom brackets, rear dropouts etc. make ID a lot simpler. For example, Goodyear "Highway Patrol" models were built by Westfield based on their Columbia line. I personally don't know what company or companies made models for B.F. Goodrich, but may be able to identify the make by visible charactoristics. Info on posting pics can be found in the gallery forum.

Latest posts

Back