YARD ART in their natural state

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are a fairly common site for me. I took this picture while walking my dog around the block.

Left1.jpg

Man, its just cold stripping a Roadmaster MTB like that! All those components are so cheap they're worthless! Why even bother except to ruin some poor guy's day? I mean its not like dude had Aerospokes or a Brooks saddle or ANYTHING worth any $$ on a plastic bike he paid $9 for on Craigslist... :cry:
I mean really, I pulled a complete one of those out of a dumpster last year, and the only things worth using were the grips and the tubes!

bryanellis said:
These are a fairly common site for me. I took this picture while walking my dog around the block.

Left1.jpg

This is freakin' hilarious! What I like is the fact that they were so meticulus, they took the pads off the caliper!

[quoteThat bike doesnt deserve to be there. I want those fenders.][/quote] Yeah! We should be able to claim 'em under "Eminent Domain Over Neglected Antique Bicycles"! :lol: "Sorry sir, you're squandering a classic. We're gonna have to swap this out for a Huffy Good Vibrations! :lol: ~Adam

lots of cool bikes!!! i am torn over this though. all these cool bikes, but the owners don't wanna fix them up but don't wanna sell them either. as long as they are wanted for the yard. when i first moved to yreka, i had a 90' huffy stone mountain mountain bike that i parked against the fence and it kinda just stayed there unmoved for years, untill i took it down to my shop to transform it.

I discovered this "Speed" trike in the upper Michigan woods about 20 years ago, strapped it to the roof of my car and it's been a bit of yard art at our place ever since. Cheers

DSC03855.jpg

DSC03856.jpg

Man are you kidding me with the mens yellow bike!?!?! SOMEONE NEEDS TO GET SOCKED IN THE FACE!!!!!HAHA please noone go out and sock the guy Im just playing![sort of!]

Fastback Maniac said:
I just frown when I see bikes used as lawn ornaments. And I have seen some nice frames that should be restored to their glory.

As do I! It's a crime to leave such beautiful pieces of ridable history out in the weather to rot! :(

Is bicycle yard art pretty common in the mid west? I live in California, and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Although, knowing the neighborhoods around here, it's probably against the CC&Rs, and anyone who tried it would probably get a call from their HOA... :roll:

I'm heading to Indiana for a few days next week; I might have to take a drive around the neighborhood and keep my eyes open for yard art, or yard sales. Still need to find a nice brown leather saddle.

Don't get your hopes up. You have to usually be way out in the country or hit yard sales. Not much yard art in suburbia.

Years ago we were driving around just before Christmas admiring everyone's decorations when I saw an old bike in a yard all wrapped up in twinkle lights. I marked the address and went back in the summer and knocked on the door. Turns out it was a boys Elgin with a tank and a nice protective layer of house paint. I bought the bike and had to take the lights with it because the owner said he wasn't about to start unwrapping them.

Blackwell said:
Is bicycle yard art pretty common in the mid west? I live in California, and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Although, knowing the neighborhoods around here, it's probably against the CC&Rs, and anyone who tried it would probably get a call from their HOA... :roll:

I'm heading to Indiana for a few days next week; I might have to take a drive around the neighborhood and keep my eyes open for yard art, or yard sales. Still need to find a nice brown leather saddle.

where at in Indiana are you going??

A house in praire village kansas
I tried to buy this bike about 3 or 4 years ago, the guy who answered the the said his wife bought it at a garage sale about 15 years before. he also said she would never sale it. I went up the street to turn around and saw three bikes in a driveway, so I ask the older couple sitting out front if they wanted sale them, the man said but I'll give them to you if you take them right now. So I get three late 50's three speeds. The old Schwinn was so rotted its just a matter of days before it dirt.

Latest posts

Back