Yamaha QT 50 "Noped" project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outskirtscustoms said:
Nice grab for a Benjamen.

Yeah, a lucky find! I traced back why I had the $100 bill in my wallet, a couple weeks ago I sold a Diamond Back Joker BMX bike that I got in trade for a chrome Powerlite frame and fork. In that trade I also got a Specialized MTB frame, 5 forks, 5 handlebars, and a couple stems. Where did I get the Powerlite frame? I got it and $20 for a Roadmaster MTB that I converted to single speed with BMX bars and stem. I got that bike from a friend who found it in a dumpster.

So this Puch was free along with other money and parts accumulated.

Today I pulled the carb from the Simple Green it soaked in overnight and put it back together, put in a better plug, added some fuel and I was riding!!!! I'm pretty darn excited.

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Nice grab for a Benjamen.

Yeah, a lucky find! I traced back why I had the $100 bill in my wallet, a couple weeks ago I sold a Diamond Back Joker BMX bike that I got in trade for a chrome Powerlite frame and fork. In that trade I also got a Specialized MTB frame, 5 forks, 5 handlebars, and a couple stems. Where did I get the Powerlite frame? I got it and $20 for a Roadmaster MTB that I converted to single speed with BMX bars and stem. I got that bike from a friend who found it in a dumpster.

So this Puch was free along with other money and parts accumulated.

Today I pulled the carb from the Simple Green it soaked in overnight and put it back together, put in a better plug, added some fuel and I was riding!!!! I'm pretty darn excited.

I love how deals like that work. My moped I got for $50 which I had from selling two bikes I got for $6 for both and sold one for $40 and the other for $50 so in all reality I got paid to take it!

I just like that I started with a dumpster find and ended up with a running ped as well as a sweet Specialized MTB frame, GT fork, a bunch of handlebars, a couple stems, a bunch of forks, and $20. haha

Yesterday I put a fresh mix of fuel in it and hit the road, started right up and cruised up to church pulling hard! Speedo says at least 30mph, but until I check with GPS I won't be bragging on it, but it feels good. Got to church and carb was leaking, so I ordered a full gasket set (intake, float bowl, top, and banjo gaskets) for $11.99 shipped. This thing is AWESOME!!!

Your Puch ped looks like the model, or similar, used in the early part of the movie Wargames with Mathew Broderick. I watched that movie a day or two ago and when I saw the girls moped I remembered your post in this thread about getting a Puch.

Nagant said:
Your Puch ped looks like the model, or similar, used in the early part of the movie Wargames with Mathew Broderick. I watched that movie a day or two ago and when I saw the girls moped I remembered your post in this thread about getting a Puch.

I just looked it up on a Mopeds in Movies website (no, I didn't know the place existed) and yes it looks similar, but it's a Derbi. Too bad, I wanted to have a famous ped! haha

Oh my, moped in movies website, everything is on the net these days. lol Well apparently I'm not to good at identifying mopeds. :roll: I felt fairly certain it was the same brand. Guess the Puch isn't famous and is just, well, a Puch. Seriously though I like it and it sounds like you got a great deal on it. The carb rebuild shouldn't be to bad to do. I've done carb rebuilds on the old Honda ATC three wheelers in the past and was surprised how easy they were.

Puch is one of the most desirable mopeds, and there were a lot of them made, but like you, I didn't know about ALL the other brands of mopeds... hundreds!

It's not really a carb rebuild, jet is still fine, just putting a few gaskets on, I've already had it apart once, so no big deal, I just can hardly wait to be riding again!

OK, here's what's been going on.

I patched the holes in the Garelli tank, I bought some JB weld, but dad said he prefers to solder them, so I decided to give that a try and it turned out pretty good. I added the rear piece of steel that will hold the seat, I still need brace it and then cut it down to size, to do this I had to make it a roller again. Man, this thing is tiny.

Frame being smoothed out a little and putting engine back on:
frameback1.jpg

Mock up:
frameback2.jpg

Another mock up:
frameback3.jpg

This project is going to take a while, especially since I got the Puch to play with, so what is going on with the Puch? I got my gasket set (intake, carb top, carb bowl, and fuel banjo), installed them and no more leaking gas. I also put a new plug in, turns out the one I pulled from the China made bike motor was the correct NGK plug anyway. The bike rides great, and can hit 34mph and maybe faster (if I believe the speeds recorded on my iPhone).

Since it was running so good, I decided to do some "fashion" mods to it last night. I pulled the old grips and put on some AME mini grips I had bought from PorkchopBMX.com they are a little shorter than stock, but "non mini" grips are way too long for the twist throttle.

I wanted a long seat and a lower profile on the bike, but I didn't want to spend $50+ on a seat, so I decided to make my own. I found a seat post that fits the Puch (didn't want to cut/weld the stock one) and welded a stainless steel plate to the top of it, then I cut a plywood base for the seat, made another stainless steel brace to mount where the stock rack mounted, used 2 different density pieces of foam for the pad and covered it in vinyl left over from covering my 4 wheeler seat. Just a basic "loaf" seat.

Then I grabbed some bars from my pile and swapped them on and I love the look! Rides great, and with the long seat you can move around a lot from sitting upright to a low tuck.

puchlow3.jpg

puchlow1.jpg

puchlow2.jpg

puchlow4.jpg

puchlow5.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Do you like that riding position?

I guess I need to take some riding position photos.

Anyway, the seat is 5" wide and 20" long, since you only pedal to start it doesn't cut into you like a banana seat does.

I can sit on the front of seat over the stock seat post, sit up straight and hold the bars down in front of me easily for an upright riding position. From there I can easily slide back into a more sporty position. That's how I rode over 10 miles today at WOT with no discomfort. You can slide even further back on the seat into a full tuck, and so far I haven't slid completely off the back of the seat yet. :lol:

Latest posts

Back