Y'all eat hot peppers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a nice jalapeño every now and then and love to use Texas Pete on my fried chicken. Hatch, NM green chili's I use to make chicken cheese enchiladas are .... good as well as grilled jalapeño's stuffed with cream cheese wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar.

That all sounds delicious.... but I'm so far gone, I barely consider jalapeños or green Hatches to be hot anymore... but they're just really, really tasty chiles. I remember when i thought eating raw jalapeños was borderline suicidal.

Lately, I'm just a sucker for Scotch Bonnets. It's january now; I need to start seedlings for the 2017 garden. the hotter chiles need way more time to start, if I'm gonna get any peppers out of'm...

db_db_C-Foodarama_Bonnet1.jpg

That's the kind of arguments i have with my wife-- how many chile plants versus how many tomato plants. :grin: I guess there are some worse things to argue about....

I used to love hot chillies, they don't agree with my stomach now, but I love reading about them here!

I'm starting to worry about if/when I end up in that situation, and I'm still trying to guess if I'm better off eating as much heat as i can while i can, thus keeping my tolerance up, or if doing that will "burn my stomach out" more quickly. So far, I haven't seen much credible info supporting either strategy, but I figure i ought to just live it up as much as i can, while i can....

Bummer you can't eat the truly hot ones anymore. I'm growing some very low-heat hab-types this year, for my friends & family in the same boat.... Most of the flavour, with very little of the heat.

Capsaicin in high amounts will kill colon cancer according to the AMA. I kid you not. I am slowly getting my heat tolerance up. I like jalapeños, I've been hearing about Scotch Bonnets all day on the cooking channel. They're doing Jamaican food, and it sounds good. So how are they compared to a decent jalapeño? As far as flavors I like green chilies with sliced apples... Sweet peppers go in all my tomato dishes and I like red yellow and orange bells but hate the green flavor. (green bell are all my Dad & Mom ever used, yuk!) Flavorwise I like pickled jalapeños too.

Carl.

I've heard about capsaicin being able fight cancer, which is really awesome.... And, Scotch Bonnets are an awesome way to get capsaicin. They're some of my favourites, and I guess they're trendy in pop cooking these days, but the flavor is very similar to a standard Habanero, but with a bit more of a smoky overtone, and typically a little more "fruity..." It seems like it's fashionable to claim disdain for orange Habaneros in the chile community these days, but i love those things.... I just find the Scotch bonnets taste a little bit better.... and true-to-form pods look a lot cooler, too. As far as comparing the Bonnets to Jalapeños, the bonnets are considerably hotter, they have that chinense flowery/fruity flavor as compared to the grassy vibes of the Jalapeño, but I love both of'm. I really like making omelettes with red Jalapeños, yellow Bonnets, lots of garlic, onions, and provolone cheese...

bicycle808 is nuts! doesnt that s#%& burn when it leaves???

whats your technique for starting seedlings here in nj for the winter?
i am a gardener but have no training and dont really do a lot of research compared to some of my other hobbies, just experiment. some years im succesful, some years my garden is a flop.

I'm really lucky, in that i (so far) don't suffer from ring-burn. I'm guessing my big ol' gut is just like a furnace, and it burns all the cap before it goes thru... but who knows? I'll definitely revise my diet if ever that changes. A bit of burn while i'm eating is enjoyable, but i bet the flipside ain't much fun at all.

As far as growing in NJ, it alld epends on the plant. I've grown a lot of Poblanos, Jalapeños, Serranos, and other "easy" annuums just by starting them indoors by a window (or in the greenhouse at work) in early March and planting them outside in mid April---after i'm pretty sure we won't get any more frost...

This year, I'm growing hotter chinense peppers, which take long, and i just moved so i've been too busy to get in gear as far as starting those. I wanted to startm' by mid-January; hopefully, i'll get to them this week. My plan is to get some fluorescent grow lights and flexwatt heat tape, to help jumpstart the germination. The plants should be pretty strong by the time the last frost is done, and these varieties take a whole lot longer to throw out flowers and fruit, so you gotta start'm early and they'l need light.

I'm not sure what you've been growing, but this will be the first time i had a real garden of my own in a while. I'd been growing through a "jopbsite" at work, and i'd been starting seedlings that a friend of mine grows out in her garden, but i've been an apartment guy for a long time now. I will say that, these past few years in NJ, seems like a lot of folks are struggling with blight on their tomatoes. The friend of mine is a hippie, and the farm we got at work is quasi-"organic," too, so we always have problems with pests like borer beetles, grasshoppers, etc.... all the critters too big to get done-in by ladybugs and lacewings. But, some stuff, like eggplants, zucchinis, okra, and some of the chile peppers (especially Serranos, Hungarian Wax, and Jalapeños) just grow like weeds and produce a whole lot for me.

I'm lucky in that my mom is an accomplished gardener with like a thousand years experience growing food in NJ, so she's always good for advice when problems pop up. I got plenty of work to do out here; my house is in Gloucester, so the soil is suspect. I wanna build some raised beds and load'm up with compost and clean fill by Spring. . . as if i don't have a hundred projects going on inside, not to mention bike projects.... But, if i get even a half-decent crop of evil chiles, I'll be happy. (I'm probably going to start a lot of seedlings and donate them to the farm site at my job.... see where that gets me.)

I mostly so the same stuff eveey year. Nothing too difficult. Part of it is because a nursery I go to, a flat is like 8$. It's hard to justify messing with seeds for that price. I used to do seeds. I think I was starting them mid march in the house plant them in old flats, then move the. Outside mid April. I had major casualties 2 years doing that. Went on vacation both times. One year my mother in law forgot to water them for me somehow, another year a big windstorm came and took my flats away.
I have a strip between the house and driveway I've been using that for years. It's not ideal for sun but it works pretty good.
Couple years ago a drought and heatwave wiped out a bunch of arborvitae so I did another quick garden there. The soil was decent. I used that just for peppers. Jalapeño, cherry, cubanel, and Hungarian wax. It did pretty good. Last summer I did the spot next to my garage. The soil is terrible there. I added whatever compost I had left, some peatmoss and tilled it. It was my largest garden, didn't do great but not too bad.
Of all things I haven't had good results with tomatoes in years. First couple years it was insane. I was giving mixing bowls of tomatoes away. Never like that again.

I'm really lucky, in that i (so far) don't suffer from ring-burn. I'm guessing my big ol' gut is just like a furnace, and it burns all the cap before it goes thru... but who knows? I'll definitely revise my diet if ever that changes. A bit of burn while i'm eating is enjoyable, but i bet the flipside ain't much fun at all.

Ring-burn!!?? :21: :agree: I can't just eat whole peppers when it's the crazy stuff. But I really like the flavor of ghost peppers, so I buy ghost pepper sauces for sammiches and such. And I cook with ghosts and dried adobos. I had a carolina reaper sauce at work a few days ago that was great. We have a lot of sauces made fairly local. There are two stores here with a local sauce selection, basically all NC-made sauces. The variety changes quite a bit, so we get to try a lot of different stuff.

Ring-burn!!?? :21: :agree: I can't just eat whole peppers when it's the crazy stuff. But I really like the flavor of ghost peppers, so I buy ghost pepper sauces for sammiches and such. And I cook with ghosts and dried adobos. I had a carolina reaper sauce at work a few days ago that was great. We have a lot of sauces made fairly local. There are two stores here with a local sauce selection, basically all NC-made sauces. The variety changes quite a bit, so we get to try a lot of different stuff.

Sounds like you got a healthy local chile scene going on down there....

I love ghosts, too. Not my favourite, but the're danged good. I pretty much won't pop anything hotter than a Savina Red or a Fatalii in my mouth and eat it whole/raw, but i've made some good omelets with a Red Ghost or 2 in it with onions, garlic, and cheese....

Good stuff 808 and everyone! With age my desire for flaming hot food is fading a bit too. A friend came over that could "eat anything" and I gave him some stupid hot sauce, over 300K scovilles. Two days later he got off the pooper and refuses to eat anything even a little hot now. lolololol.

Latest posts

Back