XXX Corvette...Now CCC Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: XXX Corvette

XXXcellent.
Good luck.

The concept...OK, not so much a concept as an excuse for a cool name. Xander Cage sits in a mid '60s GTO, gestures at a pile of new parts on the ground in front of it, and says...

"I want all that in this."

So...

p5070281.jpg

The bike; '65 Corvette in coppertone. A survivor. Great patina (I won't be painting this one). The parts; Continental Cruise Contact tires, Alienation PBR rims, Shimano hubs, some cool old redline pedals.

p5070282.jpg

The last time I attempted a buildoff bike, I got it done 2 months after the deadline, it looked great, and it was almost impossible to ride. That was the Golden Submarine.

gold1z.jpg

So my goals for this build are: Get a bike built before deadline. Make it a good rider. And don't screw up the already good looks of the Corvette. That's it.

Great goals.
I would add one more.
HAVE FUN!

Mounting tires. Please note my high-tech high-end tire mounting stand.

p5080285.jpg

p5080286z.jpg

p5080287.jpg

These are 26x2.0; they're almost exactly the same O.D. as the original S-7 26x1 3/4 tires, and 1/4 inch wider. Looks like they should fit perfectly.

Nice new drivetrain. How wide are those PBR rims?

Sometimes you just have to get out the big guns...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then there's always the moment when you get to see 5" of "what the paint looked like when it was new"...

p5210299.jpg

This is my first Schwinn. After cleaning, I discovered that the bearing cages have the word "SCHWINN" and a part number in teeny, tiny letters between the ball bearings.

p5210301.jpg

old Schwinn's are so cool!! love the build so far!

Troy

A few days ago, I realized where this build was going. Sometimes it takes a little time for the bike to tell you what it wants to be...

So, I'm listening to some, um, inspirational music today while I work on it.

Cream; Disreali Gears (and no, it's not gonna be a derailleur bike)

Traffic; Low Spark of High Heel Boys

Supertramp; Brother Where You Bound

Tool; Aenima

It's not a lyrical thing, it's a style thing, baby!

Can't wait to see how this one unfolds, looks like there are two faded coppertones in the build off, good thing this isn't a Highlander kind of thing where there can be only one :lol:

In case you haven't figured out my previous post; it's all about fusion. Those are all fusion records, blending rock and jazz in various proportions (if I'd said Spyro Gyra or Steely Dan it would have been too easy; it's fun being obfuscatory).

Any way, this bike's a fusion of old and new, but in a subtle way. I want someone who doesn't know bikes to look at it and not see the mods. On the other hand, a discerning RRBer (like you guys) will immediately know it's a rod.

The bike needed quite a bit of hardware, including needing fender bolts where the calipers used to be, so I'm using modern stainless steel, with allen heads just to make it more obvious. I'm also using an aluminum chain ring from Pork Chop.

p5220304.jpg

p5220305.JPG

Latest posts

Back