Xtracycle on the Kona

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lookin ahead at gas prices and though this will pay off. I received my Xtracycle kit today and got the frame, brakes, derailer, and wheel mounted. Used Deore XT brakes, XT derailer(9 spd) and wheel from a MTB purchased for cheap at auction. Need to buy long, long cable housings.

The Kona getting ready.
DSCF3835.jpg

Had to spread the frame to 135mm. Frame mounted up close.
DSCF3839.jpg

Bike and frame
DSCF3840.jpg

Rear wheel mounted . Going to use the Ritchey Mobi slicks for tires
DSCF3842.jpg

Racks mounted up with the load swallowing bags.
DSCF3843.jpg

I have a new front fork to allow for brakes that still needs to be attached. Once I finish the cables and adjustment, it will be ready to haul. People, bike finds, beer and what ever else gets straped to it.

Got it done with new front fork and front brakes. Here are a couple of pics of hauling some cargo. Not beer, but still very important

0503071654.jpg

0506071706.jpg

cool setup!
how does it ride?

personnaly i would have used the strait blade fork!

hahaha ur boys bout 2 give u a wedgie,.. I dont understand what the point is for the extended back end, What is it for? 2 look cool or is there a purpose?

Tarto, The ride is fine. Bumps feel a little different and speed is not affected badly without a load. With the two boys on pretty easy peddling still. With my brother on it gets little wobbly. I would of kept the straight fork but I needed a front brake and the original fork did not allow on at all.

Ricky- The Xtracycle kit will allow me to pickup kids from school, run errand to the store and pickup bikes and other finds whenever. When you start driving, you will also realize gas is not cheap anymore.

Kev, I will be taking the waterski to the skishop to get the binding fixed tommorrow.

Mulitpass, they say hillclimbing work very well, no need to get off the seat. Only problem is hard to pop wheelies even to get the front wheel up the curb.

I AM Driving now and gas is 2 dam expensive... I Like to look of it though...

thanks for the comments.

New Dharma, I am already enjoying and more so each day. The gears are nice though I only use a few. The single up front and derailier in the rear works great for a commuter.

added fenders that I found on CL for $15. Plastic Zefals- not fancy, but functional.

Better than paying $50 for a spanking new set.

Latest posts

Back