Xtracycle + Ghostrider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace

Reaction score
Yiha ! Went to Haarlem today, and payed a visit to "Het Mannetje" bicycleshop for a retro headlight for my Ghostrider, but unfortunately they didn't have the one I'm looking for (Nirve). But then I spotted something in the corner: an Xtracycle extentionset ! So I went home a happy boy after all :mrgreen: especially because it was on sale and I payed a good price for it (€180 instead of approx. €400). Saves me the p&p from America as well.

Had a first mock-up to see if I could put it on my Ghostrider easily, but soon discovered I have to change a few things...for starters I need a longer axle in my backwheel, and also need to shave of a little off of the fatty-O tire because it is a very tight fit right now - or change it for another tire. Also I had to grind off the two connectors for the cantilever brakes, as they were in the way of my backtire, and I have a coasterbrake anyway. Next is putting two chains together and figure out a chaintensioner, and I probably need a longer gearcable, or change the position of the one I have now to somewhere on the frame.

Pics will follow soon, to be continued ! 8)

Sounds like fun and a good deal....Half of what they new in the US.
Bah is a member that sometimes post here. He has a whole fleet of Xtra's on Electra's. He may be of some help with some installation issues.

He had a great site with some pheonomenal pics but he has sadly pulled the plug.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=599

bikes.jpg

Here is a thread with some pointers
http://www.pleasantrevolution.net/2006/ ... eed-bikes/

Thanks for the links cman, great pics, and very helpfull pointers !

I now have to decide whether to replace the backaxle, or stretch the backtriangle of my bike and squeeze the Xtracycleframe to fit. Point is, if I squeeze the Xtracycleframe I also make the space for the tire narrower. I'll think about it for a day, before I decide. No need to rush this, I have to say to myself.

First alteration, removal of brakeconnectors:

3307373612_4fdbb9cf08_b.jpg

First fit with backwheel:

3307373906_b0949e71af_b.jpg

So far so good 8)

thatismytruck said:
I'm surprised you need to make those modifications. I've seen Ratfinks and Rockabilly Boogie's with the extracycle attachment with no mods. post pics when you're done!!!

I've seen those pics too, that's why I didn't hesitate to buy the set today. But the Xtracycles are generic and meant to fit as many bikes as possible, so I wouldn't be surprised if they all had to change one thing or another. If only for the backtire, the Fatty-O 3x24's leave about 1 mm of space...

Will keep you posted !

you made me go to the Xtracycle site again to drool all over the stuff. I really want one for my Rockabilly Boogie. I search Craig and a local bargain paper all the time for a used one. It'll happen eventually.

Looking forward to seeing this one done. Those style bikes wear the Xtracycle look well, it looks a bit like a taildraggin kustom. That 3" back tire will look killer too.

After taking a close look at Bah's bikes, it appears that he's also lopped off the brake bosses (I could be wrong though)

-Mp

I think I'm not going to replace the axle, for the simple reason it's not going to be easy to find a longer Nexus 3-speed coaster axle (if they exist at all ?). If it were a simple coaster wheel replacing would be easy, but not as it is now I'm afraid. It will be trial & error with spacers and such, and a little squeezing and stretching here & there. Wish me luck please.

I just realised it's a pretty intense way to fabricate a longer backfender, but at least the problem of a wet butt is in the past soon. :mrgreen:

PS: that bikeshop http://www.tmannetje.nl also has a few Pedersen bikes in stock (click on Pedersen at the left menu) a very cool ride !
Shame (or my luck) they are pretty expensive, or I would have bought one...

With the help of some spacers and a little force everything is put together. Cool !

However, the backtire is now pretty much stuck enough to not run freely, so I'm either going to replace the tire, or shave some rubber. Any pointers on how to do this best are very welcome.

3309083779_f3515f1d2b_b.jpg

Also I found out I do need to replace the backaxle. The little allenbolt that holds the gearshifter in place needs a bit of axle to stick out of the axlebolt, as now it has no grip at all. Will contact Chopperdome asap and hope Ralph can sort me out.

Looks great though, and it measures at a wopping 2 m 43 now :mrgreen:

3309912924_dc36b15f5e_b.jpg

3309913132_df89d6ed21_b.jpg

3309913306_56c9a5c6f2_b.jpg

In time I will spray the frame shiny black ofcourse, to match the bike. I'll take some more pics outside when it's light & bright. And a little warmer preferably, I've had it with winter. I wanna ride this machine bad 8)

Because that will compromise "hull integrity" ? My gut feeling says don't dent the frame, but if you say it won't do any harm I believe you. My experience with bikebuilding is limited, so I could be wrong easily. Second opinion anyone ?

Cheers 8)

From the Pleaseant revolution blog(used to be the main Xtracycle blog)

4. This step is also only for the Rockabilly and its 3-inch tires! You’ll either need to shave some corner rubber off the tire or indent the Long Stay just a bit to make clearance for the tire. I padded the frame and put the Stay in a vice just to make a little indentation. It’s barely noticeable. You could also use a bar clamp to do this part. Make sure you put a really stout, long pad on the outboard side of the stay and a small one on the inboard side. That way, the inside will dent but the outside won’t. Better than a piece of wood on the inboard side is to use a bolt. The bolt will more precisely dent the stay.

Too bad you didn't have one of the newer frames, they are already dented

Thanks again for that link cman, I read that part too but have to admit I don't fully understand it without pics... :oops: my english is not bad, but somehow I can't fully picture his method.

To help me decide before I start denting, could you please explain to me how I best shave some rubber off of a tire ? Thanks in advance !

I shaved the sharp corner off a similar tire with a utility knife w/razor blade. Take your time to get nice even cuts.

I did this type of thing a while ago. I used a pair of visegrips to crush the seatstay tubing where it would give more clearance for a fatter tire. The outside of the tube I didn't want to mar or crush so I used an old valve spring compressor as a splint. Maybe that explains it better.

seatstay.jpg

visegrip.jpg

Has anyone taken 2 of these Xtracycle extentionset and lined them up in series to make an extra long Xtraxtracycle (with a 10 to 15 foot chain)or put 2 side by side to make a trike? Any ideas? Can anyone photoshop that?

No cars on mars said:
Has anyone taken 2 of these Xtracycle extentionset and lined them up in series to make an extra long Xtraxtracycle (with a 10 to 15 foot chain)or put 2 side by side to make a trike? Any ideas? Can anyone photoshop that?

An XtraXtra probably would fail quickly, also the bags wouldn't work together. My first Xtracycle frame broke, and they get pretty flexy with extra weight when loaded normally

Project is on hold at the moment...a friend's death last week and her funeral yesterday came in between, plus the rack simply doesn't fit. There was so much tension on the Xtraframe that on the final adjustment of the axlenuts one of them simply got shot flyin' through my livingroom :mrgreen: it is now threadless by the way...so all in all I either do need a longer axle - or take up C.S. on his offer to help me modifying the frame. Thanks in advance mate, will contact you once I find the time and courage to proceed !

Correction: I shall continue when my backwheel is fixed, see:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14123

My next try might even be to put the Xtracycle on my Electra RatRod, as it has 26x2.125 instead of 24x3 tires.
By now I refuse to believe Ghostriders in combination with Xtracycles can be done without mods. No way.

Latest posts

Back