X-53: Dirt Machine

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gotta spend a lot of sleepless nights to come up with ALL this stuff!................NICE!

Got the rims painted yesterday - since they are raised on center, it made it easy to mask off the chrome edges. Even without the hub caps, I like they way they look - so if hub caps don't work, this is what I'll have - Had to take out the hub on back wheel to make the rims fit on there.

I shined the aluminum hubcaps up - took a lot longer than I thought it would - but also got some of the scratches out, etc.

The hubcaps were a beast. Each hubcap has three holes in them, I was going to use these holes to mount by, but they do not line up between the rims, so I had to drill new holes, and added a total of 6 holes to each side for strength. I cut some threaded bolt stick/stuff, and put lock washers & acorn nuts on each side (pierced them). The front one turned out cool, but now I have to go back and re-do my polishing cuz I roughed 'em up trying to get them on!

Front rim seems OK. Doing back rim this morning, and then can put tires tubes on bike and see if they explode or not..

dirt_08a.jpg

dirt_08b.jpg

dirt_08c.jpg

dirt_08d.jpg

dirt_08f.jpg

dirt_08g.jpg

great looking wheels! now ive gotta ask.........the cog on the rear wheel goes on the outside(or if its inside the hub cap i want to see some pictures with them mounted and chain on!!!)of the hubcap?

sensor, sprocket is on outside - I did flip it over & push in the area around the sprocket for chain clearance - it "should" work! -Can send closer pics w/chain later - I also had to put a spacer on the cranks/sprocket side to push it out a hair so the sprockets lined up.

Rims are done, tires mounted, etc. and they are 100% Pure Beef! :mrgreen: I'm pretty happy with them. I had to extend the drop outs so the rims scooted back a little further to keep tire from rubbing - OK so far.

Here are some pics from this morning, coming along finally - picking up steam.

dirt_09a.jpg

dirt_09b.jpg

dirt_09c.jpg

dirt_09d.jpg

dirt_09e.jpg

dirt_09f.jpg

has kinda a Mad Max flair to it don't it??
if you and Outlaw ever go riding together people are going to think the world is comming to an end!
Scott 8)

:shock: I don't know if im going to be able to vote. so many beautiful bikes. I doubt im even gonna build mine :lol: :p BEAUTIFUL BIKE MY FRIEND.

I had to shim my front sprocket to bump it out enough to clear the frame.

You always build some really cool creative bikes...always lots of details.

i was thinking futuristic hot rod sorta deal. anyways to get more clearance with the chain you could add a spacer to the non-drive side of the hub and put one that is shorter on the drive side. then redish the wheel so that it moves the rear cog out farther and will clear the tire. this is what i did to get the chain to clear when i built "the higgins" because i used a felt rear wheel.

Hi, the dish of a wheel is the relationship between the centerline of the rim and the centerline of the hub. on multispeed wheels the rim is dished to the non cog side to make room for the cogs (actually the rim is kept in the center but the spoking will look like it is dished over). the way this is done is to tighten all the spokes on one side of the hub while loosening the spokes on the otherside thereby moving the rim over. I'm not sure this will work in your case because if you move the rim over in relation to the hub you will probably run into the frame on the other side. you might want to try simply moving both sprockets over a little if you can.
Scott 8)

Latest posts

Back