wrapping the bars of a road bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
noob here with a silly question.

Do you guys use actual bike wrapping or something like tennis racket grip wrapping for the handlebars?

I picked up a $10 Spalding 12 speed this weekend and the foam was coming off the handlebars so i pulled it off all the way. beautiful shiny chrome underneath! i hate to cover it up but i probably should, unless i plan on chopping them, which i havent decided yet.

so..... i'm guessing bike stores have the wrap? or walmart for the tennis racket grip?

any ideas on what i should/could do to this thing? it rides GREAT, all i did was put a new tube in the front and swap a chain on it from a spare mtn bike.

i need to find my spoke wrench so i can tune up the wheels a little.

Almost any lbs has SOME kind of bar tape. My fave is the thin plastic that you start in the center, and jam into the end with a plug, but it's getting hard to find. :? Most that I see around nowadays is cork/fake cork, that you have to sticky tape one end. :roll: Various sports equipment tapes work, and some people prefer them. :| You can probably find some labeled Spalding. 8)

You should wrap from the end of the bars to the center. It will last longer, stay put and wont come un raveled. Good bar tape cost about 20 bucks.

i got some bar wrapping for @ $16.99

it came with
2 bar wraps
2 fancy strips to go over the ends or over the electrical tape
2 plugs
2 2" strips of wrap foam with a sticky strip underneath? dunno what these are for?

i might have to strip off the brake levers to do this one.

i also picked up some pedals + cages, since they didnt have any cages to sell seperately. my $10 roadbike is slowly becoming a $60 roadie. :shock:

profit margin is going down

Latest posts

Back