Worth it paying more for a warranty?-LAST MINUTE CHOICE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys...Im so lost right now,

as i think most of you guys know by now, i'm in the market for a new bike.
Im trying to decide between a 2007 Raleigh XXIX(used) and a 2009 Raleigh XXIX (New from shop)
Was wondering:

Is it worth it to pay more for a new bike (with a warranty) or a used bike (which wouldnt be covered by warranty)
the difference is $300, and thats lots of upgrades...

Re: Worth it paying more for a warranty?

Whats the warranty on? the frame? Buying a new bike out of a box is usually a waste of money. You spend all that money and get crappy parts on it. I say buy the used one and keep your money, then upgrade your parts if need be.

Frame and maybe the fork are lifetime. The rest of the crap is a year.

Now if I buy used, and he still has the receipt and paperwork, would I be covered? Forgot to ask when I was on the phone with Raleigh.

Some companies honor the warranty for lifetime, lifetime of the frame, no matter who owns it.
Standard bmx frames are like that, for a million years it will still be covered.

A couple of our Freaks have 29ers, not sure what make or models, but I know of at least one that has had to replace a cracked frame. I'm sure he was glad for the warranty. A lot of the newer bikes seem to get cracked frames compared to the older ones. Not sure if it's the materials used, the welds, just a flaw in the designs or the riders are way to aggressive. Nowadays quality means everything but at the same time .... if it never breaks your not gonna need another bike. The manufacturers are aware of this and they do skimp on their bikes somehow or somewhere.

If you go with 660lds98 view of buying used and upgrading, it could get pretty expensive real fast. Or by the time you've got all your upgrades accomplished, the frame decides to go to H_ _L. I personally would go new and get the warranty if you plan on keeping it for a few years. Ride the heck out of it with confidence, do whatever upgrades you need and enjoy!

Well, she said it wouldn't be covered, which I don't think makes sense. I didn't ask her about paperwork. Besides, why would they need to know or care who the original owner is?

In my defense, yes, upgrading a bike will cost you more, but you will get the parts you want and better parts as opposed to out of the box. I am sure you know Dingo, you get what you pay for. You could call Raleigh and ask.

I was coming from the stand of buying just a frame and building it up.

Well basically I planned on doing upgrades to any of the bikes I'm looking at. Cheaper it is, the more upgrades I do out of the gate.

All the bikes I've thinned my selection down to are all steel, I'm not too worried about breaking a frame, but poo happens. I plan on beating the heck out of the bike as much as I can, and I am a heavy guy.

Make sure the chain isn't stretched on the used bike (they should have a tool for this) if it is, check the gears for wear. If they are seriously worn you could be looking at a a benjamin right there. Otherwise, like you said, $300.00 can buy a lot of upgrades...

Times are tuff plenty of people selling Near new bike for next to nothing..I would keep my eye out for something used...I paid $ 200 for this which I thought was a steal...
kona2.jpg
Not a scratch on it till I got it..LOL Not a 29 er but it still could use some upgrades .I will do upgrades as the stuff breaks..

Guys, I'm still lost. Any more guidance?

I plan to call Raleigh after school tomorrow about that paperwork thing. If I still have no coverage, I have to figure out if I want the used ride or not.

This week I'm traveling an hour away to look at a bike at a shop for $615. It's a 2009 Raleigh xxix. I have to go to thr city anyway, since someone saw my bike on craigslist and wants it.

What do you guys think? Overall go new? Or go used to be cheap.

Site says only the frame has a lifetime warranty (some frames only 5 years) and everything else is only a year. looks like its a single speed MTB with disc brakes. if you wanted speeds youd need to spend some serious $$$ other than entry level stuff, and even entry level stuff will add up.

If you KNEW it was the bike for you and you planned on keeping it forever id buy new, if your not sure of what you want or if youd want "more" bike (speeds,suspension) id keep shopping. if you you know youll eventually get tired of it and want something different id keep shopping too.

just my opinion, and for public notice ... im wrong more often than not :mrgreen:

I do know its a single speed, ive been looking for a single.
I like the fact that the frame is lifetime, but i want to know if i buy one used, and all the original documentation is there...I would still be covered

I dont really want a suspension, and the brake setup that is on the bike right now is sort of what i want, big brake in front and smaller in rear...I might switch to hydros, and i might just get BB7's

I think BicycleRick (Peddlers) sells Raleigh, Id ask him about the warranty / transfer thing, he'd probably know better than anyone else would :)

Called the guy with the 2007, and apparently he can work out a deal with the shop to get me a warranty...

Im loving the 2009, just because its new...and i havent had anything new in a few years...
GAH!

I CANT MAKE A DECISION!

Latest posts

Back