Worksman rim/tires combos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qko

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just picked up a Schwinn Twinn Tandem

Mounted a set of Worksman rims in it with the factory tires, but I'm not feeling it.

I want to swap the tires out, but have heard that the rim isn't compatible with all tires.

A 26x2.125 tire is about all the frame will take.

What tires are you folks running in this size or narrower, and what should I stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Keep in mind a tandem usually had heavy duty spokes because they carry twice the weight. For that reason a Schwinn "Heavy Duti" is good to find and borrow the wheels from sometimes.

The Worksman wheels will use the standard size 26" tires. 26 x 1 3/8ths won't work nor will the Schwinn S7, usually 26 x 1 3/4. The easiest way to pick tires is by the decimal size, not the fraction size. 26 x 1.75, 26 x 1.90, 26 x 2.125, etc. will fit those rims. There are tons of choices available.
I used 26 x 2.125 tires, the most common on beach cruisers, on my 1963 Schwinn tandem. The size of your frame will be the limiting factor on width. Here's a Twinn like yours they put 26 x 2.125 tires and a BMX fork on.
1616656758859.png

It's probably the industrial look of the tires that needs improvement. The Worksman rims are strong and are great for a tandem bike.

Latest posts

Back